What a clutter this marketplace is

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone will even read this because it seems like no one reads the other threads that say sold on it ..

Am I the only one that gets on here for hours looking for a specific item and each time I find one after I read through four pages of comments I find out that everything is sold… They even say sold moderator please remove… Some of them even say sold in the mainline and are still in there under recent comments because as soon as somebody makes a comment on it bumps it back up to the top. I would think with the amount of money that runs through this forum there’s a way to take the post off that are sold .... Anyways, there’s my two cents is happened to me about five times over the past three months so I figured I would say something about it… Normally I just leave it but it’s been so Annoying the last three days. Have a good day

Fumbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone will even read this because it seems like no one reads the other threads that say sold on it ..

Am I the only one that gets on here for hours looking for a specific item and each time I find one after I read through four pages of comments I find out that everything is sold… They even say sold moderator please remove… Some of them even say sold in the mainline and are still in there under recent comments because as soon as somebody makes a comment on it bumps it back up to the top. I would think with the amount of money that runs through this forum there’s a way to take the post off that are sold .... Anyways, there’s my two cents is happened to me about five times over the past three months so I figured I would say something about it… Normally I just leave it but it’s been so Annoying the last three days. Have a good day
I agree with this, and have been frustrated on other forums alike.

However, can I ask, do you have notifications turned on for when items are posted? It instantly gives an opportunity to jump on items since you can get an alert when something is posted. This isn’t good for me because I want to buy everything lol but it allowed me to finish my build in a timely manner.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you are not having a good experience.
That most things sell so quickly is because this industry (used reefing gear) is one with a consumer market larger than the selling one. When something is posted, it's often in just as good condition as a new unit, but is often many times cheaper. As such; it gets snapped up.
Your best bet, if you are looking for something, is to subscribe to the forum (with email notifications). You will then be able to passively monitor new listings as they come in, and will have an early shot at buying the gear you are looking for. I've purchased a fair amount of used gear off this forum in that way. Even with that, however, there were many times where the goods were sold before I could sign on to make an offer. As I said - it's just that kind of market.

In regards to old posts staying around; they do serve a purpose - several, in fact.
The first is that sellers looking to sell similar gear can use the existing threads to gauge what price they should offer their gear at. This keeps people from listing things way over (or accidentally under) market price - which helps keep the sales threads quick and simple.
The second is that potential buyers can look into the historical sales of members to see (at least in part) how their transactions went down. At the least, it is possible to determine if the seller is a frequent user of the selling forums, or if this is their first sale. That information can be valuable to know at times - especially on larger cost items such as LEDs, controllers, or the like.

I agree that having a "sold" feature would be nice to have. Perhaps the #mods can look into that when they have a chance? That won't be a total solution since not all people will return to a thread to mark an item as sold, but it may help some.
As a general rule, I personally consider anything with more than 1 or 2 replies to be "sold". If it's over a month old, I also tend to ignore it as likely sold, unless it's some piece of gear that isn't commonly desired.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

We understand your frustration and can identify with it as well!

This is one reason we are building new market tools within the forum. This new market will be ready around April.

Thanks for your patience.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can see this being a slight headache I don’t think it’s as big of a deal as it’s made out to be. We (mods) work very hard on a volunteer basis and try to close as many threads as we can. The fact is that we cannot see every thread. If a person sells something they can report the post or tag us using #mods to bring our attention to the thread so that we can close it. Also at times we see items sold but also see questions still not answered in the thread. Should we close it or allow the question to be answered? We do not delete content regularly nor allow members to do so. This could lead to many issues. Scams is a big one that comes to mind. Say a scammer posts threads selling things, recieves money and comes and deletes the sales threads without sending the items. There is now no record of it and the buyer has no recourse. I’m sorry you’re so aggravated by this and I will personally try to close more ended sales threads. As always you guys can all report ended sales threads or tag us mods by using the mod hashtag #mods

-Kevin
Team R2R

Arcticwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to say as soon as I use #mods, my thread is locked. I agree it can be frustrating but I truly appreciate being able to go back to threads I have posted or purchased from because it helps me remember the details of the items I sold or bought

BigTex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin/David,

Have you guys considered more mods, or possibly a mod or two that just monitors the sales forums. As Kevin mentioned, there will be threads you're not sure what to do with, but there seem to be lots where someone asks for it to be closed, yet it's still open. Overall, this site is run really well, and much better than most, but seems like the sales threads could use a little help.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevin/David,

Have you guys considered more mods, or possibly a mod or two that just monitors the sales forums. As Kevin mentioned, there will be threads you're not sure what to do with, but there seem to be lots where someone asks for it to be closed, yet it's still open. Overall, this site is run really well, and much better than most, but seems like the sales threads could use a little help.
That is not my call and frankly is above my pay grade lol. I will say that I like the close nit group we have and do not want to add
Mods just to add them. Like I said now that I know this is an issue for many I will keep my eye out to help correct it. I’m sure the other staff members will as well.

OP
OP
phil bevilacqua

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We understand your frustration and can identify with it as well!

This is one reason we are building new market tools within the forum. This new market will be ready around April.

Thanks for your patience.
Awesome!!! Ty. Even if they moved to sold section do you can still see it later but doesn’t come up in the search. Thanks

OP
OP
phil bevilacqua

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can see this being a slight headache I don’t think it’s as big of a deal as it’s made out to be. We (mods) work very hard on a volunteer basis and try to close as many threads as we can. The fact is that we cannot see every thread. If a person sells something they can report the post or tag us using #mods to bring our attention to the thread so that we can close it. Also at times we see items sold but also see questions still not answered in the thread. Should we close it or allow the question to be answered? We do not delete content regularly nor allow members to do so. This could lead to many issues. Scams is a big one that comes to mind. Say a scammer posts threads selling things, recieves money and comes and deletes the sales threads without sending the items. There is now no record of it and the buyer has no recourse. I’m sorry you’re so aggravated by this and I will personally try to close more ended sales threads. As always you guys can all report ended sales threads or tag us mods by using the mod hashtag #mods

-Kevin
Team R2R
That’s good to know. #mods should be put on there I guess. Lol. I love reef2reef , don’t get me wrong

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kevin/David,

I just suggest sellers who want to close their sale thread report it. We always close the ones that are reported to be closed. It's an easy solution. Think of it as the "sold" button. :D

OP
OP
phil bevilacqua

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s still a clutter. Gosh. Just spent and hr going through pages or sale threads to get to end...... days SOLD PLEASE CLOSE

Nope not gonna close it just gonna leave it..... some where in allllllllll the money this baby makes you need to pay for a SOLD SECTION in the forums. Move the sold to the sold section ..... happy 4th everyone!!!!! Time to go pay full price at brs. But I’ll be done in 2 min

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s still a clutter. Gosh. Just spent and hr going through pages or sale threads to get to end...... days SOLD PLEASE CLOSE

Nope not gonna close it just gonna leave it..... some where in allllllllll the money this baby makes you need to pay for a SOLD SECTION in the forums. Move the sold to the sold section ..... happy 4th everyone!!!!! Time to go pay full price at brs. But I’ll be done in 2 min

The new marketplace is going to change all this and make it so much better! Hang tight!

Last edited by a moderator:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back