What a way to wake up.....

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... woke this morning to fine one of my fish in severe distress.

20 gal display with 6 gallons in a sump, been running for about 5 months total, had fish and corals for about 2 months.

water tests ok, 0 ammonia, nitrates and nitrites, alk at 9, pH 8.2, temp 76, salinity was a touch low at 1.024 ( i like 1.026) calcium 420.

Fish was a yellow tail blue damsel. It had been in the tank for over a month and seemed to be just fine.

Except for this morning. I noticed it was spiraling out of control. Looked like its eyes were bulging out of its head, it was trying to swim, but it was spinning in circles and on its side.

I immediately puilled it out of the tank for a better look and had it in a gallon jar with tank water. I did not see any spots, worms, flukes, or other foreign matter.

There could have been some physical damage, but I am not sure if it was cause or effect.

I quickly made the decision to end the suffering and moved it to a much smaller cup of water and started dosing with clove oil.

I did add 2 new coral yesterday. BTW, everything is sourced from the same LFS and they have a stellar reputation and extremely clean tanks.

Anybody have any ideas?

I have a pair of clowns in the tank and don't want to lose Bill and Ted.

EDIT: I did do a quick 5 gallon water change.

Cake

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... woke this morning to fine one of my fish in severe distress.

20 gal display with 6 gallons in a sump, been running for about 5 months total, had fish and corals for about 2 months.

water tests ok, 0 ammonia, nitrates and nitrites, alk at 9, pH 8.2, temp 76, salinity was a touch low at 1.024 ( i like 1.026) calcium 420.

Fish was a yellow tail blue damsel. It had been in the tank for over a month and seemed to be just fine.

Except for this morning. I noticed it was spiraling out of control. Looked like its eyes were bulging out of its head, it was trying to swim, but it was spinning in circles and on its side.

I immediately puilled it out of the tank for a better look and had it in a gallon jar with tank water. I did not see any spots, worms, flukes, or other foreign matter.

There could have been some physical damage, but I am not sure if it was cause or effect.

I quickly made the decision to end the suffering and moved it to a much smaller cup of water and started dosing with clove oil.

I did add 2 new coral yesterday. BTW, everything is sourced from the same LFS and they have a stellar reputation and extremely clean tanks.

Anybody have any ideas?

I have a pair of clowns in the tank and don't want to lose Bill and Ted.

EDIT: I did do a quick 5 gallon water change.

Cake
Do you ever see any aggression between the damsel and the clowns?

Sounds like aggression possibly.

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never saw them be aggressive toward each other. LFS has these fish together in their sales tanks. This was one reason I got the Damsel, because it was acclimated to clowns in the store.

Damsel was a bit shy for a week or two, but after about 10 days it was out in the open and joining the clowns for their brine shrimp dinner every evening.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably agree with above that the clownfish may have started to establish themselves and possibly attacked the damsel. Sorry to hear, hope the clowns are ok!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back