What Adhesive do you guys use on you rocks?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm more interested in the arches. I always wondered how it was possible for those big SPS tanks to ave those huge arches and overhangs.
A lot of people use thin acrylic rods cut into small pieces inserted into either holes in the rock or drilled holes. Once you get your structure, there are a couple of options on finishing.

Upvote 0

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marco rock mortar. I used it in my 300 for arches and also to make bases for the main rock...I mix only amount I need at a time. For base for main rock that touches tank bottom, I take parchment paper lay a sheet on a flat surface, put marco mortar on the paper and place the main rock into the marco mortar and push the mortar under the main rock, and into all the crevices to make a great hold thus making a sold flat surface. Let it dry for at lease 24 hours. Then remove the paper and you got a very solid flat surface of the main rock then I build onto it from there. Here is a pic of my center structure. Marc rock and caribsea rocks.

Attachments

• marco and carbisea center.jpg
    marco and carbisea center.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0
OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marco rock mortar. I used it in my 300 for arches and also to make bases for the main rock...I mix only amount I need at a time. For base for main rock that touches tank bottom, I take parchment paper lay a sheet on a flat surface, put marco mortar on the paper and place the main rock into the marco mortar and push the mortar under the main rock, and into all the crevices to make a great hold thus making a sold flat surface. Let it dry for at lease 24 hours. Then remove the paper and you got a very solid flat surface of the main rock then I build onto it from there. Here is a pic of my center structure. Marc rock and caribsea rocks.
That's a nice aquascape!

Upvote 0

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice aquascape!
thanks...Take your time and don't rush. Making the bottom rocks have a flat solid surface is key / You do not have to worry about trying to balance those odd sharp rocks. Plus you can use good size main rocks as the foundation since if you make the bottoms flat . here is another picture of the beginning stage. You can see I made several main structures by first making the main rocks have flat bottom as I described above how to do it. I then made arches on the other structures. Some of the other structures in this picture are several rocks mortared together by me at this point in the picture. They are my main flat bottoms pillars..

Attachments

• start of idea.jpg
    start of idea.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people use thin acrylic rods cut into small pieces inserted into either holes in the rock or drilled holes. Once you get your structure, there are a couple of options on finishing.
Thats exactly what I did, drilled holes and put acrylic pieces to give the structure strength and then used the cement to join the rocks solidly and finish it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks...Take your time and don't rush. Making the bottom rocks have a flat solid surface is key / You do not have to worry about trying to balance those odd sharp rocks. Plus you can use good size main rocks as the foundation since if you make the bottoms flat . here is another picture of the beginning stage. You can see I made several main structures by first making the main rocks have flat bottom as I described above how to do it. I then made arches on the other structures. Some of the other structures in this picture are several rocks mortared together by me at this point in the picture. They are my main flat bottoms pillars..
Thank's I will keep that in mind.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back