What algae is this, struggling with it

Dan321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can any help me with this, I can’t seem to get on top of it.

EBD124DD-894C-4C5B-99F2-F76593452032.jpeg E33E0FB4-46F1-4DE1-A68A-70F0E8AAFA61.jpeg D3462920-9A82-44FE-B0C9-1F372E3D4DA6.jpeg 8ACF66EF-8DAC-4002-94B6-EF347709E399.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi hair algae,little red slime,check params,are you using ro or tap water ,need to lower phosphate most likely,jmo,others will chime in no worries,be safe ,happy reefing

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just part of a new tank.
Pluck it out daily and try to enjoy your tank

Eventually you will get a grip on things. New tanks suck.
Don't try to dose miracle liquids. Just try to let it happen.

OP
OP
D

Dan321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks been running for 2years now. I I have an ro filter for my water. This started happening about 4 months ago, I’ve been picking it out but it keeps coming back. I’m testing my params this afternoon so will let you no

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can happen in any tank of any age.
Keeping your tank clean is your best defense.
Overfeeding, lack of maintenance etc can all lead to algae outbreaks

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks been running for 2years now. I I have an ro filter for my water. This started happening about 4 months ago, I’ve been picking it out but it keeps coming back. I’m testing my params this afternoon so will let you no

When you say you use RO, does that mean RO/DI with zero TDS after the DI resin?

Looks like it could be time to tighten up your WC regimen. Your tank reached this condition gradually over time, so don't get too overzealous with corrections, but through time you should be lowering nutrient load, physically removing as much algae as you can. Each weekend, pull a rock, scrub and rinse in salt water, then squirt some H2O2 at the base of the algae. Let it "cook" for 5 minutes and then put it back in the tank. Have you been vacuuming the sand to remove detritus?

So that is the gradual method. It is pretty safe, but slow. If you want to really give it a rip clean medieval like, then talk with @brandon429 .

Nicks Extreme Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your RO is running fine then you're probably getting the excess phosphates from feeding or from something that has died. More than likely its a combination of factors. I would test nitrates twice a week and begin doing the dreaded weekly water changes to get the nitrates and phosphates under control while manually removing whatever algae you can by hand. Are you running a refugium? Have you tried using an algae scrubber? I've personally had really good luck with algae scrubbers.

Wc_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey get a couple emerald crabs i have a 20 gallon and I got 2 and I have a 60 gallon and I put 5 in there I normally do 1 per 10 gallons and they will get rid of your algae problem

OP
OP
D

Dan321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, sorry for late reply. I’ve started the weekly water changes and am cleaning as much as I can each week, my last reading :
Ammonia: 0.2
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 1.0
PH : under hart
KH : 6 ( I’m dosing kh/ph stabiliser weekly )
Phosphate : 1

I Am not currently running refugium but have just been give a tub of Fiji mud so I’m thinking of making the middle chamber of my sump into one, never done one before so not to sure where to start. I am contemplating removing a few bit of LR and giving it a clean in salt water to remove some of the algae.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back