What algae is this?

mathew.jarvis

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2023
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
Location
Dundee
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had this tank for about 2 years now but 7 months ago I redid my scape with some old and new rock and within 2 weeks brown coloured hair-algae-like filaments started sprouting up. I remove them about every 3 weeks manually by hand and brush the rock. The strands feel silky and come off relatively easy However there seems to be the "roots" (its not exactly roots but more like a dark brown coating over the rock that feels a bit slippery when I run my fingers on it) left behind when I pull the hairs off. Theyre a bit hard to remove by brush when the rock is so porous. I also had some bubble algae with it.

Can anyone help me with the ID?

Screenshot_20250622_140132_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20250622_140117_Messenger.jpg 20250622_130336.jpg 20250622_130458.jpg
 
So, I had this tank for about 2 years now but 7 months ago I redid my scape with some old and new rock and within 2 weeks brown coloured hair-algae-like filaments started sprouting up. I remove them about every 3 weeks manually by hand and brush the rock. The strands feel silky and come off relatively easy However there seems to be the "roots" (its not exactly roots but more like a dark brown coating over the rock that feels a bit slippery when I run my fingers on it) left behind when I pull the hairs off. Theyre a bit hard to remove by brush when the rock is so porous. I also had some bubble algae with it.

Can anyone help me with the ID?

Screenshot_20250622_140132_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20250622_140117_Messenger.jpg 20250622_130336.jpg 20250622_130458.jpg
Difficult to see anything clearly in the photos
 
Difficult to photograph. I dont have before ohotos but here is whats left after pulling hairs off. The darker spots are the bases. I cant seem to take a better photo; hope these help.
 

Attachments

  • 20250622_144152.jpg
    20250622_144152.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 46
This looks like hair algae
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new