What algae is this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adam10045
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Adam10045

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
188
Reaction score
14
Location
Benton, AR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im setting up a new tank and it's starting to cycle (finally!!) after 2-1/2 weeks. Mixed in with the diatom, is this stringy algae. I've personally have never seen it and am wondering what it is? It doesn't appear to be hair algae. Any suggestions?
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 149
Based on the age of your tank I would guess a very bad case of diatoms and cyanobacteria.
If there are bubbles developing on the strands it might be a type of Dinoflagellats. I would take a turkey baster and blow it off all rocks and sand, then clean mechanical filtration once the water clears.
 
+1 on above from Tahoa61 and Reefer Madness. Get the nitrates and phosphates down and you will be golden. I would manually take that stringy algea out. Also, set lights to only 5-6 hours per day and this will help. During the cycle- expect diatoms, micro and macro algeas as well as cyno bacteria. Lastly - add tons of circulation and this will help. GL!
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new