What am I doing wrong!?

Jamie knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
I'm starting to get discouraged and I don't know if its my fault or not but I just had a new fish die. Since my Scopas Tang died about 2 weeks ago it's starting to get to me. The Scopas Tang I believe was a freak accident where he ingested some kind of plastic. There is a forum about that mystery in my post history.
But yesterday, I added a new Foxface Rabbit-fish, he survived less than 24 hours. This is literally the last fish I want in the tank, I think they're so cool and I'm so upset this one didn't even make it the first day. Its current residents are 1 blue damsel, 1 dwarf zebra lion, and 1 algae blenny. In a 75 gallon tank. They are all doing fine, growing, have been in the tank since day 1.
Also, since I know it will be asked, no I didn't quarantine. I don't have a good excuse for that.

But anyways, here are my parameters as of the time the Foxface passed away, will someone please point out if I'm doing something wrong, besides not quarantining, I already have plans to fix that.

Calc: 400
Dkh- 8-9(its a color the water test kit so exact is hard)
Phosphate is now close to 0 after adding phosguard
Nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all down to 0. I had done a water change two days before the new fish came.

I've reached out to the vendor- and when i called they told me i had to email in my complaints with pictures and theyd contact me within 12 hours. Its been 24 now.. they also left out 7 of the 10 scarlet crabs in my clean up and sent me a pom pom xenia that was supposed to be 1-2 inches but is less than 1/4th inch.. I'm not going to name and badmouth the vendor as maybe this is a fluke but the lack of care in the other details makes me wonder if they took care of the fish the way they claimed as well...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
I'm starting to get discouraged and I don't know if its my fault or not but I just had a new fish die. Since my Scopas Tang died about 2 weeks ago it's starting to get to me. The Scopas Tang I believe was a freak accident where he ingested some kind of plastic. There is a forum about that mystery in my post history.
But yesterday, I added a new Foxface Rabbit-fish, he survived less than 24 hours. This is literally the last fish I want in the tank, I think they're so cool and I'm so upset this one didn't even make it the first day. Its current residents are 1 blue damsel, 1 dwarf zebra lion, and 1 algae blenny. In a 75 gallon tank. They are all doing fine, growing, have been in the tank since day 1.
Also, since I know it will be asked, no I didn't quarantine. I don't have a good excuse for that.

But anyways, here are my parameters as of the time the Foxface passed away, will someone please point out if I'm doing something wrong, besides not quarantining, I already have plans to fix that.

Calc: 400
Dkh- 8-9(its a color the water test kit so exact is hard)
Phosphate is now close to 0 after adding phosguard
Nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all down to 0. I had done a water change two days before the new fish came.

I've reached out to the vendor- and when i called they told me i had to email in my complaints with pictures and theyd contact me within 12 hours. Its been 24 now.. they also left out 7 of the 10 scarlet crabs in my clean up and sent me a pom pom xenia that was supposed to be 1-2 inches but is less than 1/4th inch.. I'm not going to name and badmouth the vendor as maybe this is a fluke but the lack of care in the other details makes me wonder if they took care of the fish the way they claimed as well...
What is your salinity? And what is the salinity of the shipping water the fish came in?

OP
OP
Jamie knight

Jamie knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your salinity? And what is the salinity of the shipping water the fish came in?

I've never ordered a fish online so I don't know if it's normal but it was really low at 1.018. I always run my tank at 1.021. but that's why I acclimated the water. Didn't seem like a big difference but what do I know :)

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those seem low. What are you using to do salinity measurements?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ordered a fish online so I don't know if it's normal but it was really low at 1.018. I always run my tank at 1.021. but that's why I acclimated the water. Didn't seem like a big difference but what do I know :)
Actually, 1.018 is higher than my LFS runs or any fish I have received online. That small of a jump shouldn't have caused a problem.

OP
OP
Jamie knight

Jamie knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those seem low. What are you using to do salinity measurements?

Refractometer. I'm sure I could raise the salinity if need be but I've always kept it at 1.021 and never had issues with the coral or current fish.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer. I'm sure I could raise the salinity if need be but I've always kept it at 1.021 and never had issues with the coral or current fish.
How often do you calibrate the refractometer? I just recalibrated mine this weekend since it was off quite a bit.

OP
OP
Jamie knight

Jamie knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you calibrate the refractometer? I just recalibrated mine this weekend since it was off quite a bit.
Whenever the salt to water ratio isn't where either think I should be I'll check the calibration but I just checked it anyways.and there's no issues there.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis Your tank is beautiful! Thanks for trying to help me out.
LOL!!! I wish the avatar picture was my tank. Mine are more sparsely populated than that unfortunately.

IMG_20180624_113512.jpg

IMG_20180624_180101.jpg

OP
OP
Jamie knight

Jamie knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL!!! I wish the avatar picture was my tank. Mine are more sparsely populated than that unfortunately.

IMG_20180624_113512.jpg

IMG_20180624_180101.jpg
Still looking good though! You seem to have algae way under control too. Im still battle some green hair algae but I'm told thats to be expected as I'm about 4 months in.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking good though! You seem to have algae way under control too. Im still battle some green hair algae but I'm told thats to be expected as I'm about 4 months in.
I'm using Vibrant to keep the algae at bay. Mine are 3 1/2 months and 2 1/2 months

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let them sit in the bag in the tank for about 20 minutes then moved to a bucket to drip acclimate for another 20 or so and then in the tank he went.

When you drip, do you remove any water during the process?

OP
OP
Jamie knight

Jamie knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update I have spoken with the supplier and went over how I did everything and water parameters and they thought it was most likely due to temperature in the ups ups t since it got delivered so late. The ice packs definitely we're not cold at all and he was a bit pale. Best guess?

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very good possibility. Next time you might want to test the water temperature of the shipment just to rule temperature out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back