What am I doing wrong??

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started raising my Alk slowly 1 year ago. I run all 9 tanks with the same salt.

This might be your issue. While there are definitely acro tanks which seem to do well at higher Alk, I find the majority to do well at closer to natural seawater. When I dropped mine years ago was when my acros really started doing well. IMO RSCP salt is designed for people who don't dose which is why the levels are so high. I run mine +/- 7.5.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a couple buckets of regular Red Sea in the blue bucket. They wont be here for 10 days so while I wait, I stopped adding Kalk to my top off, and I will go back to doing small daily water changes. Once the new salt arrives, I will start to slowly bring the alk down. Once it is down, I will work on nutrient reduction.
Cheers! Mark

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a couple buckets of regular Red Sea in the blue bucket. They wont be here for 10 days so while I wait, I stopped adding Kalk to my top off, and I will go back to doing small daily water changes. Once the new salt arrives, I will start to slowly bring the alk down. Once it is down, I will work on nutrient reduction.
Cheers! Mark
Don’t forget to watch Ca. Let the tank consume the alk but monitor your Ca as well.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report. Still waiting for bulbs and new salt. Without adding Kalk and with daily 5 gallon water changes, Alk has dropped to 10. Turned up the skimmers a bit and Phosphate dropped to .15 Nitrates at 15. Still adding Oyster Feast, Coral Frenzy and Amino acids daily. Here is a clearer pic. of the WD
Cheers! Mark
thumbnail.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Acros are not healthy I don’t think adding the frenzy, oyster feast and aminos are going to be helpful. I always find going back to the basics is best when things are not right. Water changes, skimming and good light only. Hope things turn around for you.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Acros are not healthy I don’t think adding the frenzy, oyster feast and aminos are going to be helpful. I always find going back to the basics is best when things are not right. Water changes, skimming and good light only. Hope things turn around for you.
Yea, the WD and a couple others dont look good while some of the corals look great and are thriving. The system is 2x60g displays, a 40g frag tank and a cryptic tank plumbed together and all stuffed with corals. I am thinking the feeding wont hurt as long as I can manage nutrients?
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston, we have polyp extension. The new salt was delivered Thursday and I have been doing 5 gallon water changes in the morning and again at night. So 10 gallons a day on a 200 gallon system. I noticed this morning that a couple of the corals were looking really good and this evening we saw extended polyps on the WD - Yay!! The WD still has a long way to go but this is promising. Alk is 8.5, nitrates are at 12, and phosphates are up to .2 I fashioned a DIY algae scrubber in my overflow box and we will see if I can get the nutrients down a bit. New tubes finally arrived so now I am running: 2 actinic and 4 Coral plus. I have also siphoned out the sand bed (it was sooo dirty and a lot of the sand came out as huge 2 inch thick rocks)
Cheers! Mark

Last edited:

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate GHA!!
How are you addressing it?
Cheers! Mark
ive had it for Months like 4 months.. plus dinos.... I tried flucon which got the bryopsis but not GHA.. tried vibrant, (currently on it) but results are not impressive... but took all rock out.. scrubbed.. I removed all my sand.. so now im barebottom.....

so now no sand, vibrant ( not sure if its doing anything) 2 tuxedo urchins, and i feel its slowly going away... but probably my eyes since i want it to go away soooo bad!

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had it for Months like 4 months.. plus dinos.... I tried flucon which got the bryopsis but not GHA.. tried vibrant, (currently on it) but results are not impressive... but took all rock out.. scrubbed.. I removed all my sand.. so now im barebottom.....

so now no sand, vibrant ( not sure if its doing anything) 2 tuxedo urchins, and i feel its slowly going away... but probably my eyes since i want it to go away soooo bad!
We have been dosing Vibrant for a while in our eel tank. Didnt look like it was working then bam, all the gha turned light brown and is really dying fast.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool.. ill probably stop dosing 2 times a week then and only do on sundays from now on....and just run 12 weeks after that ill give up lol
We had a lot of gha. Now that it is really dying, it is a mess of brown crap EVERYWHERE. I am scrubbing rocks and cleaning pump intakes daily - but I am winning!

Back