What am I not thinking - sump direction

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am installing a Trigger Ruby 36S in a 4' tank stand. Most tank photos seem to show the drains dumping into the left side of the sump and the return pump on the right side.
If I install the Trigger sump in the traditional install, the filter socks are in the back left corner of the stand, and the skimmer is in the front/fore ground, so changing the filter socks will require working around the skimmer. If I rotate the Trigger 180 degrees, this will put the filter socks in the front, almost center of the stand, but then the skimmer will be towards the back and working on it will require working around the drain plumbing. The return pump would be in the rear left.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thank you

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the biggest determining factor here would be which side of the tank the drains and return/s come from. You want to reduce as much plumbing as possible. If that doesn't matter I'd go to which orientation makes maintenance easier or harder. I would think it would be more difficult to change the filter socks when you have to reach around or over your skimmer. Vs reaching over your filtersock holder to get to your skimmer collection cup.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Whatevers easier to you.
My sump direction flows right to left because thats how i installed my overflow and return to the tank. No rhyme or reason and it doesnt matter lol.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a Aqueon 120 RR - so I have two drains from the bottom of the tank along the back.

I just got a PM (Thank you) who asked "which do you do more - change filter socks or work/clean the skimmer?"

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back