What apex to start with?

NanoRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I’ve been in the hobby for many years and I’m pretty old school on how I run my reef. Here recently I’m looking into maybe automation a little bit and seeing what apex would be a good starting point that can be added to, many even a trident down the road. Thanks for any input or suggestions

OP
OP
N

NanoRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve started to go that route, but I’m more leaning toward to the data logging/monitoring of things while I’m away from the tank. If i see something off can I correct it remotely?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're looking at the Trident down the road, that will require the Apex EL ($499) or the full Apex ($799). The difference between the two models is that the EL does not include Salinity and ORP probes, or the 0-10v variable outputs which can be used for certain controllable pumps and lights. However, all of those features can be added later on by purchasing additional modules. Both models come with temperature and pH probes, and the EB832 which includes (8) 120v outputs, (3) 1Link ports (used to connect WAVs, DOS, COR15, or Trident), and (2) 24v accessory ports (used for the PMUP, solenoid, or other 24v devices).

I wrote an 8-part Apex Programming Tutorial series here on R2R covering a variety of programming topics. Take a look to get a feel for what the Apex can do besides basic monitoring: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/

U

User1

View Badges
$15 wifi power strip and an free iphone app

You missed the part that he may want to do automate water testing via the Trident....your wifi power strip isn't going to do that.

OP, you sort of answered your own question if you want the option to use the Trident and @SuncrestReef did an excellent job of showing the difference.

The Trident is not compatible with the Apex Classic, Lite or Jr systems. It is compatible with the Apex and the ApexEL Systems. So if you want to use the Trident down the road you can only purchase the Apex or the Apex EL systems. As to which one of the two maybe make a pro/con list and see which one checks the most boxes. Also factor in any plans for future tank upgrades.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back