what are good levels of phosphate and nitrate

ironworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have recently began keeping sps. i was wondering what levels of phosphate and nitrate i should shoot for. currently my phosphate is 0.00 and nitrate is 7 ppm. read with a hannah checker and red sea pro nitrate test. i think i should have a little higher than that. just looking for other opinions.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unmeasurealbe.

but I think you will find your values acceptable with perhaps lowering the nitrates a bit. that is assuming you are measuring total nitrates as opposed to just the nitrogen part. Usually specified in the test kit instructions. And usually total nitrates.

ToadallyNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to think unmeasurable was the goal, but her lately I'm thinking different. I've been having conversations with people that have the most beautiful deeply colored SPS and they keep their PO4 as high as .32. So needless to say the Phosban reactors in my house are void of GFO until further notice. ; )

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to think unmeasurable was the goal, but her lately I'm thinking different. I've been having conversations with people that have the most beautiful deeply colored SPS and they keep their PO4 as high as .32. So needless to say the Phosban reactors in my house are void of GFO until further notice. ; )

Interesting. I have heard that keeping nitrates at some low level is actually better to help fight off cyano by the algae consuming phosphates.

my .02

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way anybody is keeping any coral, let alone a full blown SPS reef, well colored with a PO4 reading of .32. I think you may have meant .03?

My corals look best If I keep my po4 around .03-.04. Any higher than .06 on my hanna low range and things begin to look a bit drab.

Bluewater04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont really know what the magic number is but my corals were looking drab and I was running undetectable. Added 10 green chromis still undetectable or just above and everything perked right up. So seems like I was running too clean for sps.

ToadallyNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way anybody is keeping any coral, let alone a full blown SPS reef, well colored with a PO4 reading of .32. I think you may have meant .03?

My corals look best If I keep my po4 around .03-.04. Any higher than .06 on my hanna low range and things begin to look a bit drab.
Nope... he said .32. Just repeating what I was told. I'll look for the thread and post some of the conversation...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back