What are some good species for an Okinawa / East China Sea biotope?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In honor of my East Asian roots, I have started considering the creation of a biotope that represents the seas off the coast of the Ryukyu Islands. Can anyone suggest some species that would fit in well? Both fish and corals. If you have experience diving in the Ryukyu Islands even better. The species must be suitable for a 6’ 180, and should be easy to care for.

I have done some research on the website of the Churaumi Aquarium, and these following species were listed on their site that are also in my stocking plans:

-One Spot Fox Face (8”)

-Long Nose Hawkfish (5”)

-Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish (these, I learned on their site, are called “fog butterflies” because they travel in such large groups that obstruct everything else in the water) (7”)

Other species on my stocking list found in the Ryukyu Islands:

-Ocellaris Clownfish (Captive Bred) (4.5”)

-Yellow Coris Wrasse (5”)

-Flame Hawkfish (4”)

-Yellow Watchman Goby (4”)

-Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby (4”)

-Pajama Cardinalfish (3.5”)

Would purchase if available and at the right size:

-Melanurus Wrasse (5”)

-Red Lined Wrasse (5”)

-Orange Striped Cardinalfish (3”)

Considering:

-Scissortail Dartfish (5.5”)

-Zebra Dartfish (4”)

-Blue Gudgeon Dartfish (4.5”)

Beautiful but hesitant:

-Green Coris Wrasse (8”)- worried about aggression

-Mystery Wrasse (5.5”)- worried about aggression

-Ornated Wrasse (7”)- worried about aggression + availability

-Izu Hogfish (5”?)- Hardly ever available and worried about aggression

-Yellow Candy Hogfish (4”)- Worried about aggression

-Auriga Butterflyfish (9”)- Dangerous to corals

-Raccoon Butterflyfish (8”)- Dangerous to corals

-Marine Betta (8”)- It’s on the site of the Chuarami Aquarium. I love this fish but can’t get a captive-bred one in my part of the world, if I get one and it needs live foods to initiate a feeding response I don’t have the opportunity to get live foods.

Curious:

-Red Blotched Razorfish (8”)- Remember earlier today I sent a group of photos that you guys determined to be Halstead’s Razorfish? I read the Chinese carefully again and turns out the Chinese says “Red Spotted Razorfish.” This is a species that’s on the Chuarami Aquarium site and FishBase says it gets to 8”. Not sure about its availability, would be an interesting addition if it’s safe.

-A Sand Perch of some kind. Just worried I’ll have lots of competition with Gobies and Hawkfish. Heard they’re predatory but not sure.

Unobtainable:

-Wrought Iron Butterflyfish (6”)

The photos I’ve seen of Okinawa’s reefs contain lots of SPS corals in shallow water. As a first time reef keeper I don’t really plan to get into SPS. So, if there’s a good way to create this biotope without SPS corals, that would be great.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In honor of my East Asian roots, I have started considering the creation of a biotope that represents the seas off the coast of the Ryukyu Islands. Can anyone suggest some species that would fit in well? Both fish and corals. If you have experience diving in the Ryukyu Islands even better. The species must be suitable for a 6’ 180, and should be easy to care for.

C. Ryukyuensis?

Also do searches on this site for Ryukyu and for Ryukyuensis for more suggestions.

And maybe @evolved and @eatbreakfast can give you other suggestions and compatibility and care information.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love suggestions!

For the Genicanthus spp. angelfish, if I can find a pair of the smaller species, that would be great but problem is most come in (when they do) as female. Lamarck’s gets a bit too big for my liking, they get up to like almost 10” I think.

It says the Spotbreast (Japanese Swallowtail), Watanabei’s Angelfish are found in the Ryukyus but not the Bellus. G. Semifasciatus too but they get a bit larger.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back