What are some good utilitarian fish for a nano?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a max nano and have been planning my final two fish (I definitely want a Yellow Head Jawfish), 6 fish is a lot I know but I have many hiding spots and a good nutrient export. So far I have:
- Black Clown Goby
- Yasha Goby
- Linear Blenny
- Pink streak wrasse
I want another utility fish, I don’t mind what it eats for now.
A photo of my clown goby and blenny (My favourite pairing in the tank!!) just chilling on a ledge!!
1353A56E-D7B5-41AA-8D65-FDADFA673BAB.jpeg

Last edited:

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I would classify a clown goby as a utilitarian member.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do they eat cyano? If so that would be a big plus side since I’m currently tackling a cyano bloom that’s dying off.
according to algaebarn, they have been seen to consume it. i do have a court jester goby, however, i cannot confirm this.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The court jester is supposed to sift sand and
eat type of algae. I figured that is what caused it to be listed.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a casual sand sifter. I really love mine. It’s the most “nobody’s home” fish I have ever seen though. It’s like a drone that just hovers around dropping gravel like a prisoner out on the yard.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is the Achillies Tang

(just kidding..wanted to trigger the tang police)

Best one I can say for a tank that size is a blenny for some algae control and a 6 line wrasse for pest control.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a springeri damsel? Stays nice and peaceful, a brilliant blue color, and supposedly eats flatworms.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol shrimp with goby keeps the sand turned over.
My goby actually has its own burrow without a Shrimp, I think it learnt from my past YHJ (That jumped but I have a lid now).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more suggestions on good utility fish? I’d love to add some more colour and not just black and white. Maybe some reds/oranges/yellows or Blues/Purples would be a nice addition.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with a Hectors goby, Love them and very close to the rainfords goby. I also found out there is a hybrid of the two species that was bred once. I certainly prefer hectori over rainfordi, well I just like having gobies… A bit too much, this will be my third goby. I hope gobiidae doesnt manage to climb into my large tank haha.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectively any goby with shrimp won’t really do much except maybe a 4x4 inch place to turn over at best. This may be fine in very small nano, but immaterial otherwise. Same token a clown goby (citron) just sits around adding zero benefit to my 180g tank with 3 of them.
If an upgrade beyond a nano doesn’t mKe sense then maybe a utilitarian CUC may be better. Sure throw in a small tomini which is great for a nano but it will grow fast.

you honestly may not need a utilitarian fish in a nano. Overkill ?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectively any goby with shrimp won’t really do much except maybe a 4x4 inch place to turn over at best. This may be fine in very small nano, but immaterial otherwise. Same token a clown goby (citron) just sits around adding zero benefit to my 180g tank with 3 of them.
If an upgrade beyond a nano doesn’t mKe sense then maybe a utilitarian CUC may be better. Sure throw in a small tomini which is great for a nano but it will grow fast.

you honestly may not need a utilitarian fish in a nano. Overkill ?
I know the Clown and Yasha arent utilitarian and the blenny, hectors goby and pink streak wrasse is however, going goby dominant. I definitely do need utilitarian fish in a nano, comparing JUST cuc to a fish and CUC utility gang in my 4’ days a lot. I don’t actually have a Shrimp with my goby and he does the same thing (He learnt from an old buddy jawfish). Also an update on the Hectors:
image.jpg
image.jpg

He’s done dreams that CUC could never do. No matter what CUC member it was, I never got things that ate cyano. This guy eats it and gladly sifts the sand whilst he’s at it. Also I prefer not to go with CUC due to how I get VERY few Indonesian native CUC members. My main want with this tank is that It houses Indonesian only fish/inverts.
I don’t want to upgrade from my Nano due to the fact on how I got it to have this tank with fish that get lost in tanks larger tanks. Such as smaller gobies and blennies. I’ve always wanted a shrimp goby and a clown goby and when I found the right ones I got them. I don’t really care that they Just sit around, it adds variation in how they swim/sit though.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.6%
Back