What are some good utilitarian fish for a nano?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the smallest sand sifting goby? I also need a fish which is cleaning my sandbed for my nano :) is there a good and small one?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the smallest sand sifting goby? I also need a fish which is cleaning my sandbed for my nano :) is there a good and small one?
Koumansetta hectori is a good sand sifter and stays 2”.
I’m pretty sure the genera that sand soft are:
Amblygobius
Amblyeleotris
Signigobius
Cryptocentrus
Koumansetta

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainfords/hector gobies will definitely eat cyano. Make sure you go captive as they are hard to keep alive if they don't eat prepared/frozen

Springeri damsels are also nice. Small and peaceful but give you that beatiful blue only a damsel can.

IMO utilitarian is dangerous rabbit hole with fishes. All "biological control" fishes are hit or miss. You shouldn't count on a fish to solve a problem 100% of the time. In a small tank like that it's really not hard to do a lot of work. Big water changes, diligent siphoning of stuff you don't like the look of, etc.

Your hands are the best herbivore and they are free and 100% reef safe.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainfords/hector gobies will definitely eat cyano. Make sure you go captive as they are hard to keep alive if they don't eat prepared/frozen

Springeri damsels are also nice. Small and peaceful but give you that beatiful blue only a damsel can.

IMO utilitarian is dangerous rabbit hole with fishes. All "biological control" fishes are hit or miss. You shouldn't count on a fish to solve a problem 100% of the time. In a small tank like that it's really not hard to do a lot of work. Big water changes, diligent siphoning of stuff you don't like the look of, etc.

Your hands are the best herbivore and they are free and 100% reef safe.
I know it’s best not to do utilitarian fish, however so far I have hit the jackpot with all of my fish:
CBB
Radiant & Jade Wrasses
Blue Eye Kole Tang
Foxface
Hectors Goby
Linear blenny
This is over 2 tanks, all of them help as “CUC” fish. Also my hectors goby is wild caught and I think he is eating (I’m not sure). I do agree with how utilitarian fish isn’t always the way to go but it’s not a bad way either.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s best not to do utilitarian fish, however so far I have hit the jackpot with all of my fish:
CBB
Radiant & Jade Wrasses
Blue Eye Kole Tang
Foxface
Hectors Goby
Linear blenny
This is over 2 tanks, all of them help as “CUC” fish. Also my hectors goby is wild caught and I think he is eating (I’m not sure). I do agree with how utilitarian fish isn’t always the way to go but it’s not a bad way either.
I don't mean to say it's bad to go utilitarian. I think herbivores especially are important. I just mean you can't expect fish to deal with every nuisance always or work miracles. You should buy a fish because you like the fish and if it deals with a problem that's just bonus.

I really like utilitarian fish when they work because they tend to behave more naturally. For example, a tang that loves hair algae will spend all day grazing throughout the whole tank instead of swimming circles around wherever the food gets dropped. Tangs graze and I want to see that!

A wrasse that loves red bugs and flatworms is great not just because it eats a nuisance bit because it's fun to watch them hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to say it's bad to go utilitarian. I think herbivores especially are important. I just mean you can't expect fish to deal with every nuisance always or work miracles. You should buy a fish because you like the fish and if it deals with a problem that's just bonus.

I really like utilitarian fish when they work because they tend to behave more naturally. For example, a tang that loves hair algae will spend all day grazing throughout the whole tank instead of swimming circles around wherever the food gets dropped. Tangs graze and I want to see that!

A wrasse that loves red bugs and flatworms is great not just because it eats a nuisance bit because it's fun to watch them hunt.
For sure!! I definitely agree to get a fish because you like it. I’m hoping to go goby dominant so, I’ll probably grab 2-3 gobies (3 is if the other two stay small and the 3rd is a larger one). I hope for 4 more gobies so that’ll leave my amount of fish at 7 if I go with 2 gobies but 8-9 if I go with 3-4 more.

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure!! I definitely agree to get a fish because you like it. I’m hoping to go goby dominant so, I’ll probably grab 2-3 gobies (3 is if the other two stay small and the 3rd is a larger one). I hope for 4 more gobies so that’ll leave my amount of fish at 7 if I go with 2 gobies but 8-9 if I go with 3-4 more.
The goby master you are :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back