What are some options for doors on a t slot stand

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tldr; need recs for skinning a t slot stand with waterproof materials (not wood or mdf) that hides the metal supports.

My current stand has water damage and I'm considering upgrading my system. I want to ensure this doesn't happen again by building a custom t slot stand.

The only issue is that my partner hates the way the exposed metal beams look! The only way I can get this approved is if I find a way to get a nice look for the outer doors. She really likes the look of waterbox metal stands (https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/aquarium-cabinets-aluminum-frame?variant=42614256500926) where the outer panels/doors completely cover the metal stand. She also doesn't want wood as the outer material for fear of more water damage. Laminated wood or powder coated metal doors with concealed hinges would work.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding examples of t slot stands with outer panels that cover the stand or with concealed hinges. I'm having an even harder time finding online vendors for laminated plywood (on all sides) cut to size. Has anyone ever done this and/or has pics? Also any recommendations on material for outer panels/doors is greatly appreciated!!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at laminating the plywood yourself. It's fairly straightforward and doesn't require too many tools - j-roller, small router and some epoxy. Plenty of vids and you can do inside in white and outside in whatever color you like. Wood or wood-like colors or marble - all endless. Once completely covered with edgebanding (self adhesive exists) then it's waterproof as long you don't drop in a pool.

For hinges - honestly, I'd go with magnets. Either self stick or attach with hardware. Better access and much easier than installing hinges and tons cheaper (plus you can change it up easier).

Good luck!

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at laminating the plywood yourself. It's fairly straightforward and doesn't require too many tools - j-roller, small router and some epoxy. Plenty of vids and you can do inside in white and outside in whatever color you like. Wood or wood-like colors or marble - all endless. Once completely covered with edgebanding (self adhesive exists) then it's waterproof as long you don't drop in a pool.

For hinges - honestly, I'd go with magnets. Either self stick or attach with hardware. Better access and much easier than installing hinges and tons cheaper (plus you can change it up easier).

Good luck!

This is a great idea! Thanks so much!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back