What are some signs of a failing return pump?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like the title. Just looking for some future preventative identifiers for submersible pumps for those just in case moments? Things that can go wrong or can go bad? Or any identifiers of current possible issues that would pertain to the mechanics of a submersible pump. Thank you.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any....maybe if you were closely monitoring wattage you'd see something unusual. But how much in advance of failure is anyone's guess.

In my experience, when the motor goes, they work fine until suddenly they don't work at all.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any....maybe if you were closely monitoring wattage you'd see something unusual. But how much in advance of failure is anyone's guess.

In my experience, when the motor goes, they work fine until suddenly they don't work at all.
In my experience I've noticed a dirty pump can restrict flow until cleaning. Is it possible a pump can slow down? Is it possible a submersed pump can become hotter? I suppose I'm making possibilities. And I suppose anything is possible too.. I'm just throwing thoughts out there. I don't fully understand the mechanics other than electricity and magnets powering these things. Just whatever experience anyone has had?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So the immediate brand of a pump will tell you it's failing? That's a quick identifier.
Yes it is a very big factor. Without asking, I can pretty much rule out that the pump in question is not a Mag, Eheim, Tunze, Iwaki, or Pan World.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is a very bigfactor. Without asking, I can pretty much rule out that the pump in question is not a Mag, Eheim, Tunze, Iwaki, or Pan World.
Not understanding? I can reassure you with my signature that a monkey could ID my return pump. That isn't what this thread is about. If I had a $20 pump or a $2000 pump, would there be if any mechanical identifiers to a failing pump other than just not working?

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that a rising level in your sump would be an identifier.....Along with new identifiable noise or vibration coming from it. I've got a Vectra M1 sitting in wait for the day my Siice 4.0 heads south...

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that a rising level in your sump would be an identifier.....
Thank you! That helps! So in other terms, slow performance regardless of being clean or dirty could be an identifier?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not understanding? I can reassure you with my signature that a monkey could ID my return pump. That isn't what this thread is about. If I had a $20 pump or a $2000 pump, would there be if any mechanical identifiers to a failing pump other than just not working?
Although I have been called that many times in my life, I can assure you that I am not a monkey, which is possibly why i didn't look for the brand of pump. Maybe you should have just elaborated a tad in the thread instead of leaving me to assume. Now that you have identified the type of pump, I can focus my answer.

I would be wary of abnormal current draw, overheating power supply, any abnormal noise coming from the pump, impeller magnet imperfections in the plastic coating, any lumps in the impeller well, tight bearings due to calcium buildup.

Happy reefing!

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have been called that many times in my life, I can assure you that I am not a monkey, which is possibly why i didn't look for the brand of pump. Maybe you should have just elaborated a tad in the thread instead of leaving me to assume. Now that you have identified the type of pump, I can focus my answer.
Nobody called you a monkey. I guess you never heard of that nomenclature. I wasn't insinuating you were a monkey.

Without asking, I can pretty much rule out that the pump in question is not a Mag, Eheim, Tunze, Iwaki, or Pan World.
How did you come to the conclusion of this then?

Now that you have identified the type of pump, I can focus my answer.
This is bugging you isn't it? lol

I would be wary of abnormal current draw, overheating power supply, any abnormal noise coming from the pump, impeller magnet imperfections in the plastic coating, any lumps in the impeller well, tight bearings due to calcium buildup.
Finally getting somewhere!

I'll edit the original OP so no "pumpcist" remarks are made ;)

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run it through a controller? You can measure amp and watts over time and maybe identify irregularities. Maybe. I have my flow monitor set to text me if the flow stops or reduces greatly and an extra pump under the bed

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run it through a controller? You can measure amp and watts over time and maybe identify irregularities. Maybe. I have my flow monitor set to text me if the flow stops and an extra pump under the bed
Flow monitor is a great idea! Can you give me an idea of where to get a flow monitor?

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly you dont even need that just setup up a float switch in the sump that sets off an alarm if the water level rises

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly you dont even need that just setup up a float switch in the sump that sets off an alarm if the water level rises
I have that covered. I was considering this flow sensor to maximize return rate. All around a good idea, imo.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back