What are some signs of a failing return pump?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op has a DC return pump. I'm not familiar with those, but I've read that they just all of a sudden stop working.

As with any pump, periodic cleaning of the impeller and housing should help keeping them running. As already been stated, Precipitation build up could cause them to fail faster. Jmtcw.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op has a DC return pump. I'm not familiar with those, but I've read that they just all of a sudden stop working.

As with any pump, periodic cleaning of the impeller and housing should help keeping them running. As already been stated, Precipitation build up could cause them to fail faster. Jmtcw.
Prior to my DC pump purchase, I used a AC pump.

Could a submersible AC(not including controller issues) pump have the same issues? Everything has the ability to fail. I've followed some threads on the pros and cons of each AC/DC pump. Just trying to get an idea of possible signs if any. I'm hearing some good info so far.

If for instance
impeller magnet imperfections in the plastic coating, any lumps in the impeller well,
were to arise without prior knowledge, could there be any identifiers to that issue without physically noticing?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to my DC pump purchase, I used a AC pump.

Could a submersible AC(not including controller issues) pump have the same issues? Everything has the ability to fail. I've followed some threads on the pros and cons of each AC/DC pump. Just trying to get an idea of possible signs if any. I'm hearing some good info so far.

If for instance

were to arise without prior knowledge, could there be any identifiers to that issue without physically noticing?

Sure, as with AC's, noise such as rattling, knocking, loud humming, water temp increase, grinding sounds, reduced flow...... and my personal fav, tripped circuit breaker. Yay!

You get the picture.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also include issues with restarting after powering off, power supply running hot, you're about to leave on an extended trip.

Okay, that last one isn't really an indicator, but...

Especially when bearings get worn.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about *when* a return pump fails... are people using new technologies to receive notifications? Aside from Temperature and pH (e.g., that Neptune signals)... is it standard practice to receive notifications when a return pump fails? I'm looking into a return pump that fits this bill. Comparing Ecotech S2 with the neptune Cor 15 with the Reef Octopus Varios and finally a Sicce 5.0. Any insights?!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are not reliable signs with DC pumps. With other pumps, failing to always restart after a power outage can be a sign of wear.

Anybody who think that brands or type does not matter had never had many brands or types. Most all DC pumps other than the top tier ones like Red Dragon or Abyzz are out over their skis at three years...so have a plan. AC pumps will make some noise or sometimes not start after an outage, so have a plan when this happens, but most of the time a new impeller fixes th.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are not reliable signs with DC pumps. With other pumps, failing to always restart after a power outage can be a sign of wear.

Anybody who think that brands or type does not matter had never had many brands or types. Most all DC pumps other than the top tier ones like Red Dragon or Abyzz are out over their skis at three years...so have a plan. AC pumps will make some noise or sometimes not start after an outage, so have a plan when this happens, but most of the time a new impeller fixes th.
Kind thanks for the insights. One thing I was wondering is if, when a return pump fails and you are away, what are the best methods to know said pump failed? I have an apex controller - do I need an apex-compatible return pump to know the pump has failed... or is monitoring the electrical current to the pump via the apex sufficient? I'm guessing there are certain bonuses to having apex compatible return pumps like the cor-15.

Back