What are the best/most economic fragging tools?

Reeferon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for good quality at a good price.

Which ones are the best all around?

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you are going to frag. I do mostly sps and use a diamond cutting wheel for my dremel. The cutting wheel is only 20.00 at home depot. I would say razor blades, scissors and bone cutters.

I

inactive

View Badges
100 pack of razor blades and something hard to swing at them.. rock, hammer.. whatever.

Flathead screw driver for softies and moving colonies of things... break rocks, pry plugs off rocks.. etc...

Bone cutter are nice, but very expensive.... they don't stay very sharp in my hands for long... so I buy cheap angled pliers, 1.50...2.50...3 dollar pairs, use the heck out of them and then chuck them.. I mean, I cut plugs, rocks, eggcrate.. you name it... Not gonna drop 25 bucks on some stainless that will rust anyway.

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using a pair of $12 coral cutters for a long time with no problem, I just rinse them when I am done with tap water. For softies I just use scissors. FWIW my second dremel died last night, I hate dremels now, they dont last for me, bits are too expensive, and seem to not be able to handle any real work. I used them for both real work and tank work though. For chalices razors are fine, flathead screwdrivers come in handy like Kray suggested also.

I

inactive

View Badges
your mind

You know, I tried that... I was sitting in front of the old 10g concentrating so hard on trying to frag this acan colony with my mind. Note to self, mind fragging must be done out of the tank, or top down over a open top tank. My first attempt at mind fragging resulted in my front display being broken into a million pieces.... So yes, it works.. but don't propagate your tank.

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant go wrong with a good pair of pliers, like Kray said they are cheap enough to just toss after a while.

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta agree with Kray on this one.. I went out and bought a expensive set of bone cutters, only to last me a few months, and now they are so rusted I cant even open them... I usually just get some cuticle cutters from walmart and use those, in fact those seem to last longer then the bone cutters...

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out and bought a expensive set of bone cutters, only to last me a few months, and now they are so rusted I cant even open them...

Did you rinse them with fresh water after each use?

I mostly use a dremel with a diamond cut off wheel

I did the dremel thing for a while but had bad luck with the heat they produce during cutting. Besides that I had two that both lasted less then a year before croaking. They work well IME use in combination with other methods. Dremeling through the hard disk and then having a razor to cut the flesh type seems to work well. I am done with dremels though, they just died to fast for me.

Aquascaper

Pro: Fish, Inverts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a Harbor Freight somewhere close-
bring your imagination-
purchase some various tools (very inexpensive)
then decide what you like to use and invest your money on some quality tools that fit your needs

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back