What are the biggest issues that hobbyists face? Help me help you!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking to put a team together that will target the main issues that saltwater aquarium hobbyists face on a day to day basis maintaining a reef tank. What I need from you is to help me put a specific list together of subjects that we need to really target. I would like for you to be as specific as possible please! So in your opinion...

What are the biggest issues that saltwater aquarium hobbyists face maintaining a reef tank?

THANK YOU!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
initial set up and cycling of tank great threads here already but how to point new members to info available perhaps in the welcoming email all folks get

planning for what type of reef you want and what is needed to support it equipment wise sps need the par power dies it fit your budget

live stock planning what fish are on your must have and best order of introduction

maintenance how to be realistic on time and effort ie im lazy hauling buckets up a flight of stairs not good for long term follow thru invest for success get a pump to do the work keep it manageable

testing double check instructions easy to get wrong numbers not testing as instructed whats essential at what time of a tanks life depending on what you stock

trusted resources of info a list of r2r thumbs up sources like brs vids etc

sharing the hobby to get support and meet new folks and get buy in from significant others

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My biggest challenges over the years have been dealing with invasive algae's. Most of the people I know would probably answer the same :)

So true! Can you be more specific?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Understanding reef chemistry. A lot of people never quite get there heads around alkalinity and dosing etc

Can you be more specific with your personal issues?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think from what you see on the forums-

1. How to correctly identify when to start dosing, how to calculate dosage requirements.
2. Identifying common fish/coral diseases and how to treat them.
3. Common testing practices and the best tools for the job.
4. How to set up a sump/plumbing
5. Overall optimal system parameters for FOWLR, SPS, mixed reef
6. And to finally answer why is X product so expensive once and for all.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@revhtree-are you mostly looking for the biggest issues relatively new reefers face or experienced reefers face? I think there are some topics that overlap, but I think the issues really depend on which audience you're targeting.

Both actually. I have some ideas on how we can help reefers of all experience levels get help when they need it. So just be as specific as possible for you!

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would be chemistry of the water i find if your chemistry is good you should never get pest alga but trying to figure that out is hard with out testing and seeing what works for your tank . What’s hard is every take seems to need differ things then the next . My corals seem to Survive but never thrive and it drives me nuts lol but I want to strive to make my tank healthy and for the corals to do amazing and one day I hope this happens

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="revhtree,
What are the biggest issues that saltwater aquarium hobbyists face maintaining a reef tank?

Would be great if there was some way to test for ich and other fish ailments. Then we could treat accordingly.

Algae sucks too!

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie my big problem has been knowing what to look for with pests. For example, I didn't know what an exposed skeleton on an LPS was supposed to look like, so the very obvious Vermitid Snails didn't trigger any kind of response in me. Additionally, I didn't know what healthy or unhealthy frags looked like.

Some kind of guide for what to look for when purchasing common coral would be very helpful.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh, actually doing the things i know i'm suppose to do.

Oh, a single aptasia.. I should just kill that right now...eh, I don't wanna get my hand wet, or turn off the pumps. I'll do it later.
..........and then it becomes a pandemic.

Oh I should QT for observation new fish..I don't have the space for that, I trust my LFS.
......hello velvet, oh and here is space for an emergency QT.

Oh that frag has a bit of algea.. but it's so pretty.
.....hello caulerpa

Oh that fish is 'reef safe with caution'.. well here is some r2r threads of random X claiming his is fine, i bet this will be too.
...bye bye corals

Not sure how you can help, but something to really instill the discipline and importance of 'proactive' maintenance. The sooner you appreciate the value of consistent routines, and proactive maintenance the better off you'll be. BRS and others hammering 'ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' is for a reason, it's one of the most important things to learn.

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understanding reef chemistry. A lot of people never quite get there heads around alkalinity and dosing etc

I would second this .

So much conflicting information .

NSW vs high alk (even though BRS did the series on better growth with high alk)

ULN but Actually corals need high nutrients

Get rid of phosphate for algae but wait some things need phosphate

Get rid of nutrients for water quality - oops hello cyano

The list is endless

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back