What are the different hammer types and size of polyps?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to hammers and just bought two recently and had one before. The one I had b4 is very popular green with purple tips that are kind of small and its branching into 3 heads it sits on a tall trunk like a torch! I just bought one labeled "toxic gold stemmed splatter hammer". Its looks very different and has even smaller hammer tips and sits real low and sort of flat !

I havnt recieved my 24k hammer but the tips are very bright gold and kind of small as well. I saw some at my lfs and on ebay that have huge tips or hammers and kind of curved tips! I actually wish I would have bought those types instead! My jaw dropped when I saw them but they were also huge colonys with lots of heads! Can I expect the tips to get bigger as my single head hammers grow?

I know there are wall hammers and branching and mine arent wall but like I said sits kind of low on sort of a flat base. Is it going to branch.? I didnt think to ask if it was a wall but dont think it is! I sure hope not!

Maybe I will try to post pics later! Not sure if I will be successful or not! I have only done that once and my memory sucks! LOL.

Appreciate any help and wonder if someone can tell me if they have indos or different species besides what I see labeled as wall or branching or just plain ole hammer!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are Indo and Aussie hammers, including branching, confused, splatter, wall, etc. Yes the tips can get bigger - the coral can also grow more (including additional heads).

I currently have 4 hammers, a mix of Indo and Aussie. One confused, one regular and two others I forget the names of. I'll try to take some images.

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry but just saw this. I had a crash and lost just about everything! I bought some new hammers sight unseen and got small tips again! Are those indos with the small tips? I know someone with a pink and gold and i had bought one of those and lost it in the cras but he is advertising it as aussie! looks to have much bigger tips!

I am confused about confused hammer lol What is that? I iwouldnt mind seeing pics. You can text if easier to 813-704-9857

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back