What are the most underrated fish?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,646
Reaction score
67,844
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The good ol standard Ocellaris clownfish. Everyone's looking for designer clowns and easily forget Nemo!

1579813282505.png
 
I'll have to go with my mimic yellow tang. Still really small but has cleaned out a forty gallon tank of algae in 2 weeks. It's going into the 180 after I get the trigger,foxface and grouper into a bigger tank. That little tang will out eat the foxface that is 4 times larger than the tang and will eat a little gha.
 
Possum wrasses. Mine is an aquatic dog
+1 I love my possum wrasse. It was an impulse buy and very cheap! And it's turned out to be one of my favorites
 
Some of my choices already listed (Radiant wrasse and Potter's wrasse). I would add A. nigricans, Gold Rim or White Cheek tang. Stately coloration, inexpensive, much easier to keep than it's cousins and an algae eating fool. I think of them as a poor man's Achilles tang.

Gold Rim 2 (1 of 1).jpg
 
Some of my choices already listed (Radiant wrasse and Potter's wrasse). I would add A. nigricans, Gold Rim or White Cheek tang. Stately coloration, inexpensive, much easier to keep than it's cousins and an algae eating fool. I think of them as a poor man's Achilles tang. View attachment 1390125
I love gold rims! I want one once I get a longer tank than my standard 90. Few years down the road.
 
The yellow and green clown goby. I thought they would get lost in my 75. Nope, they are amazing fish. My little yellow clown goby was a fearless. Come off the coral and get right in the middle of feeding time.
The green is a bit shy. It moves all over the tank. Its always fun to try to find it. Two amazing fish. Cheap small and extremely overlooked. Great in any size tank.
 
Domino damsel. In fact, a lot of haters. I love mine. He has a unique body shape, stark black color. Hangs with the big dogs (blonde naso, yellow tang, foxface, and hippo) as if he's a big dog too. Bully? Sure, but I don't want a commune/monastery; the real reef has bullies that eat all of our fish not just tell them who is boss. Plus, if he nips me, who the H am I to go all Darla on their home anyway?
 
Any of the fish of the plesiops/paraplesiops genus. I have a plesiops corallicola and he’s the most awesome fish I’ve ever had. There are plenty of beautiful species in the genus but they rarely get any attention besides the marine betta.

I think they should get more attention because they’re basically like having a mini grouper. mine is very outgoing and interactive.
 
Marine Bettas are awesome fish. I don't know if I'd say they are underrated, but certainly under represented. I doubt you could find a more hardy and interesting fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new