What do you think is the most underrated coral?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saw this photo by @DanConnor and it got me thinking that softies might be some of the most underrated corals. What do you guys think? What are the most underrated corals in the hobby?

1.jpg

Last edited:

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kelly Green Pasamacora , has other names ,, Goni's , not as under rated as they once were though , the top of my list :) Favia's ,, for the most part ,, except for a few , you can get them for almost nothing and they are awesome ,, I have in the neighbor hood of 25 in my tank ,, all bought as frags ,, but they are growing :)

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh softies no doubt. It's almost like they're considered trash and you can't find the variety you use to which is a shame.

I wouldn't go so far as to say people think they are trash ,, its just there are so many other, non soft corals out there that are prettier and they get the space in our tanks soft corals used to get.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go so far as to say people think they are trash ,, its just there are so many other, non soft corals out there that are prettier and they get the space in our tanks soft corals used to get.

That's an exaggeration but they do seem to get looked down upon. Catchy names and high price tags seem to get the most attention right now. It is natural to want to move to the next challenge though. I love the color and movement of a softy tank.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we’re I live I think any common coral is very underrated, every one looking for the next big rainbow. There’s nothing wrong with that but In my view any coral will look awesome wend it gets to a decent size.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pipe organ. One of the first corals I had 20 years ago. Totally underrated in my mind. You have the cool flower look even the skeleton looks cool.

59F3E17F-27FB-419D-9288-E6916553CDB2.jpeg

A rock covered with those Recordias are always nice ,, pretty cheap ,, I think people buy these as a after thought ,,

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I dont know if I just have a different approach then most but I dont care the name or type of coral it is. If I like it I get it never pay attention to if they are what's popular so Idk what is underrated for instance I see people saying soft corals are underrated mean while ricordia are some of my favorites and I have a cabbage leather that is actually basically the center piece in my tank. Thing is almost 8in across and insanely bright green I can see it when I pull up from work from my truck and the tank is probably a good 75+ yards away.
20191120_002134.jpg

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh softies no doubt. It's almost like they're considered trash and you can't find the variety you use to which is a shame.

Not trash at all but they are considered last resort as you have to build a tank around them, chemical warfare is really bad with these types of corals. I see less when mixing LPS/SPS but softy + SPS is actually fairly difficult to mix and you also run the risk of softies taking over a tank as they grow extremely fast.

If you have ever seen some dedicated softy tanks, they are downright gorgeous but pruning probably makes if feel like a planted tank. I have nuisance Xenia in my tank and even when my nutrients ran super low if I forgot to prune them back one week it would be an absolute mess.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back