What do you think is the most underrated coral?

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree that softies are underrated. There are people who think they are "above" those that keep softies because they keep SPS. I've been around the hobby over 50 years and reefing over 20. And, although I can admire a nice SPS reef, I prefer to keep the softies because of the movement, different shapes and maintenance. I don't want to be tinkering with my tank all the time nor do I have the time/space/funds for all the latest equipment needed to do SPS. Also, once the lights go out and everything closes, it's a whole different reef. I've spent many a night with a flashlight observing the nighttime biodiversity.

20191006_113336.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like gorgorians.

the photosynthetic ones make awesome starter corals, as long as have the light and flow they need. And not super growers that might have to trim constantly as you add more expensive corals later.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So surprised everyone is saying xenia. I always loved xenia and still do. I’m always cutting mine back and giving away to anyone that wants.

xenia gets a really bad reputation on the forums because how fast it spreads, if I could only get one coral that’s the one I’d choose the way the coral pulses is just so unique, I could stare at it for hours.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree that softies are underrated. There are people who think they are "above" those that keep softies because they keep SPS. I've been around the hobby over 50 years and reefing over 20. And, although I can admire a nice SPS reef, I prefer to keep the softies because of the movement, different shapes and maintenance. I don't want to be tinkering with my tank all the time nor do I have the time/space/funds for all the latest equipment needed to do SPS. Also, once the lights go out and everything closes, it's a whole different reef. I've spent many a night with a flashlight observing the nighttime biodiversity.

20191006_113336.jpg

Im with you. That tank looks so good. I have a great appreciation for those that run sps, but it's not for everybody.

Not trash at all but they are considered last resort as you have to build a tank around them, chemical warfare is really bad with these types of corals. I see less when mixing LPS/SPS but softy + SPS is actually fairly difficult to mix and you also run the risk of softies taking over a tank as they grow extremely fast.

If you have ever seen some dedicated softy tanks, they are downright gorgeous but pruning probably makes if feel like a planted tank. I have nuisance Xenia in my tank and even when my nutrients ran super low if I forgot to prune them back one week it would be an absolute mess.

I had xenia make it to my sump and outcompete macro algae.

xenia gets a really bad reputation on the forums because how fast it spreads, if I could only get one coral that’s the one I’d choose the way the coral pulses is just so unique, I could stare at it for hours.

I'm the weirdo that likes the grass look of gsp.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a neon green Japanese toadstool. Got is years ago a little bigger than a dime, and now it’s probably the size of 3-4 quarters. He wasn’t lying when he said it was a slow grower.....it’s 6 years old almost! ;Playful;Wacky

corey

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back