What are the primary values of the Reef2Reef community?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doing some musing this morning over what drives us forward as a community. I'm thinking about what we aspire to be as an online community of diverse hobbyists from literally all over the world and what it is that brings us and holds us together. What's at the heart of our DNA that sets us apart as a community?

I would love to read input from you guys on this idea. If you were to make a list of what you think are the primary values of Reef2Reef, what would you include in the list?

Some questions you might consider as you make your list:

What do you think defines the best interactions in this community?
What would you say makes up our DNA as a community?
What do you think drives us forward?
What keeps you coming back to R2R over and over again?

So what do you think? Maybe give a list of 7 or so things that you think define who we are and what will propel us forward.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we as a community are nice, very welcoming, informative, easy to discuss various reefing aspects with. Always willing to learn from mistakes and figure out how to use those mistakes to better ourselves. I think too it's cool seeing new people join the site who are unsure if they will stick with the hobby or are unsure being on a forum like this, and after a couple of months they are still active here and have a tank full of life. Those are just a couple of thoughts I have

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i think the main driving force is how this community seems to be more civilized than other forums. could it be the forum leadership that keeps this in check, or the members themselves? i've lurked other forums and see lots of bashing, bigotry, and flat out diminishing/demeaning conversations. i stick around and continue to use this platform since i've met many nice people who i like to say i've become friends with, which is the #1 reason, aside from personal self-gratification of keeping a reef that i entered this hobby.

edit: i'm sure the good amount of giveaways and contests helps keep things active and members engaged. i'm sure everyone is struggling in some shape of form whether financially, or otherwise so the contests/giveaways help keep the hobby alive.

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the main driving force is how this community seems to be more civilized than other forums. could it be the forum leadership that keeps this in check, or the members themselves? i've lurked other forums and see lots of bashing, bigotry, and flat out diminishing/demeaning conversations. i stick around and continue to use this platform since i've met many nice people who i like to say i've become friends with, which is the #1 reason, aside from personal self-gratification of keeping a reef that i entered this hobby.
I think good leadership being quick to act when something gets out of hand and people knowing there is a zero tolerance for criticizing or being hurtful to others leads this forum to being as friendly as it is

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think our #1 goal , at least mine is helping others, especially newbies .
Always answering questions politely and providing informative answers based on real experience not gueses.
I feel like all my friends are on here yet I've never met any of you. That to me says it all.
But mostly, being nice to each other, open to others opinions and always spreading good vibes
This is my first and only forum and I find it's managed very well and most members are respectful of others.
We're all on here to help each other, right?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Becoming better hobbyists together. Reefing has a different meaning for everyone. It is much more than putting fish in a box of water. If you are willing, Reef2Reef can be your place to find out what that meaning is, and find someone to help build on that as well. Or if you aren't willing, Reef2Reef still provides a place for you to get the information, livestock and products that you want.

The basis of Reef2Reef is that YOU decide your participation level, and how far you want to go. It is all here waiting for you.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to say the knowledge that is shared and the sincere desire to help each other. Man, I wish I had this back when I started in the mid nineties when I was stumbling around in the dark with a blindfold on experiencing trial and error. Just a tip I learned from back then that I would like to pass on, not all advice from an LFS trying to sell you something is good advice. I really enjoy the entertaining posts with the lighthearted banter, I’ve had so many laughs. @Nman, @Fishy Guy, @ESABOE , @Katrina71, @00W and sorry if I missed some.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I enjoy being here because you can learn on every level, from entry to expert. It helps when someone can translate "this thing" (with a picture) and points you in the right direction to ask questions and research on your own. Having a sense of humor with other reefers is a way to connect and makes it much less stressful. We become family.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would likely repeat what the previous posters have said:

Finding answers through not only scientific articles, but from reefers actual experiences. Comparing it to your own tank and feeling confident on a path to proceed.

Members who take the time to show photos, whether that be before/after or critically important to this new reefer, ID photos!

Kindness with humor mixed in as advice or even constructive criticism is given.

Hearing from the veterans that they still struggle on the same issues a new reefer does.

A place to discover new vendors and have whole threads from members who have purchased from them. I would never have found a lot of small businesses in this industry without R2R or the members who have directed me to them.

I love the contests/giveaways! Really beneficial for a hobby that is quite expensive; and just a fun activity to get your mind out of your troubles for a moment

And friends that you’ll likely never meet in person but end up being connected to for things that have nothing to do with reefing.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to say the knowledge that is shared and the sincere desire to help each other. Man, I wish I had this back when I started in the mid nineties when I was stumbling around in the dark with a blindfold on experiencing trial and error. Just a tip I learned from back then that I would like to pass on, not all advice from an LFS trying to sell you something is good advice. I really enjoy the entertaining posts with the lighthearted banter, I’ve had so many laughs. @Nman, @Fishy Guy, @ESABOE , @Katrina71, @00W and sorry if I missed some.
Lots of laughs!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this earlier and I was not sure how to answer.

I have thought about it more and I still don't know how to answer. I guess that I am starting to see a place that resembles ReefCentral about the time that this place started - a handful of really dedicated people still around who want to help the masses with a board/ownership that is interested in membership, clicks and keeping numbers up than doing a few hard things to not have the truly talented go away. The people who might have started as hobbyists might not be so anymore and are truly business people. The number of friends that I have made in the hobby over the years that I have to call, text or email to talk to has gone up - some don't want to be here anymore.

I guess that I come on here to help people reef better, to the best of my ability. I don't usually need help, but I like to learn.

I have been really happy that some of the threads and posts about the liar and misrepresenting manufacturer products and stuff have been . This is really a help to the hobby and I appreciate it. I would be even happier to see some of the Partner Drive or Ad money go to helping this type of research instead of buying gifts and stuff, but that could just be me.

In all, this site is still a cool hang, but could be quickly replaced, IMO. Nothing lasts forever and maybe what I am seeing is just the natural life cycle of a online hangout.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back