What are these black spots.

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently on week 3 of cupramine, all fish doing great but the Blue Hippo is showing signs of ich again (after being clean for a while) but I noticed some dark spots during the last couple of days on one side. Is this normal or should I worry about a new disease in addition to ich??
20170315_212715.jpg
0953b364804b248fd464de52711c33c9.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. What has the copper level been? What is it now?

OP
OP
sigmarabi1

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.4 stable. At the very beginning I overdosed to 0.8 and lost some fish then I fixed the concentration to 0.4. She took it like a champ and was doing great with no signs of anything. She is active and eating well.
96663d37a7e5e4ddc157aa78d9756ac3.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the spots on the head are a bit worrisome, but for the moment we can concentrate on the darker spots. Has she been treated with prazipro yet? Or has a freshwater dip been performed yet?

OP
OP
sigmarabi1

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the spots on the head are a bit worrisome, but for the moment we can concentrate on the darker spots. Has she been treated with prazipro yet? Or has a freshwater dip been performed yet?
Not yet.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would do a freshwater dip to confirm/rule out flukes as an option.

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

OP
OP
sigmarabi1

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a freshwater dip to confirm/rule out flukes as an option.

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.
Just the Hippo or should I send everyone in ny HT to a FW dip?? Do I return them to cupramine immediately after?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the Hippo or should I send everyone in ny HT to a FW dip?? Do I return them to cupramine immediately after?

You can dip just the hippo. Yes put him back after. If you see flukes, then you can treat everybody with prazipro.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I treat with Prazipro and cupramine simultaneously??

Yes you can. Just be careful and watch for a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) in which case you will increase O2 in the water and do a water change 24 hours after the prazi went in.

OP
OP
sigmarabi1

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Prazipro 2 nights ago after giving her a FW dip twice while I waited for the prazi to arrive. The blue hippo is now showing this bevahior (video link below), Is it typical sign of flukes?

OP
OP
sigmarabi1

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sigmarabi1 It looks more like he's trying to fight his reflection than rubbing on the bottom.
@Humblefish Thanks for your quick response. I think you are right, the blue tang is not doing that all the time. I went home and observed for a while. However, now I see a huge mark on her face and the anthia is literally losing her tail fin. Any idea what I'm dealing with? Im still treating with cupramine going into the last week and Prazipro thinking that it's flukes. See pics.

b88a4638800ec29e5e1ad4cbc2cb1153.jpg

fcb803aa38c5fb0ca809cea2ca920622.jpg

The wound in her body was bc it was viciously attacked by the other anthia a couple of weeka back so I ended up moving the other one to a separate tank but her fins rotting is a new development.
EDIT : for clarification she is not being attacked anymore for at least two weeks.. which is puzzling.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
sigmarabi1

sigmarabi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you've got signs of a bacterial disease in play here. So I would start dosing antibiotics to counter that: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/antibiotics.283711/

Some of the white things looks like Lymphocystis to me, but I'm also left wondering if that's all it is. :confused: Can you perform a FW dip on the Hippo Tang to check for flukes?

Check out the video in this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/video-how-to-do-a-freshwater-dip.214/
I have metroplex to give with the food and also have kanaplex. Which would you recommend? I'll give the blue tang another FW dip.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have metroplex to give with the food and also have kanaplex. Which would you recommend? I'll give the blue tang another FW dip.

I would dose both Metroplex + Kanaplex directly into the water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back