What are these things? Flatworms? Pods? Aliens?

rvamarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice today a few of these really tiny things on the glass, specially in areas where there's a bit of algae. Are they good? If they are bad, how do I nuke them safely?

8c48d08500361bc7d892a8def93f0317.jpg
193673f990c7fd7982bd46087d03ec02.jpg

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworms just not an expert on whether they are the harmful or harmless ones

OP
OP
rvamarcel

rvamarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, def flatworms. Now, the question is, are they the safe kind?

Although they are really similar to the previous photos, I'm adding two more pictures of the worms. I am torn between letting these things be or using flatworm exit. I know water changes and carbon are vital if I go the chemical route, but it seems like a huge risk considering it is a 14G tank ( It's a 14gallon with softies, LPS and small pieces of acro, monti and bird nest).

@Lionfish Lair please help! Are these safe?

75660c429289c74557dea23d6ca484e3.jpg
cc332841341459c3a1042bdd966716bb.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably the wrong one to ask about chemical treatments, as I've never done them and it would have to be extreme for me to ever consider doing it. A lot of times you'll see me ducking out of conversations at the point when it turns to treatment options as my views are not a fan favorite, I'm afraid, so I kind of stopped fighting that fight. LOL!

I've always had flatworms here and there. Most would gather at the water line or a few just above the substrate on the glass. You can see in these pictures I was taking of isopods, there were a flatworm or two scurrying around.

isopod-munnid-6-1.jpg

Here you can see a couple of the Convolutriloba sp. towards the top I didn't treat and they didn't take over.

isopod-munnid-2-1.jpg

BUT!! You can't exactly sit back and watch their numbers grow. Usually they will just burn themselves out because everything waxes and wanes, but if you don't clean up or stop feeding the copepods, you could be looking at this (my picture, but NOT my tank).....

flatworm-convolutriloba-10.jpg

OP
OP
rvamarcel

rvamarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably the wrong one to ask about chemical treatments, as I've never done them and it would have to be extreme for me to ever consider doing it. A lot of times you'll see me ducking out of conversations at the point when it turns to treatment options as my views are not a fan favorite, I'm afraid, so I kind of stopped fighting that fight. LOL!

I've always had flatworms here and there. Most would gather at the water line or a few just above the substrate on the glass. You can see in these pictures I was taking of isopods, there were a flatworm or two scurrying around.

isopod-munnid-6-1.jpg

Here you can see a couple of the Convolutriloba sp. towards the top I didn't treat and they didn't take over.

isopod-munnid-2-1.jpg

BUT!! You can't exactly sit back and watch their numbers grow. Usually they will just burn themselves out because everything waxes and wanes, but if you don't clean up or stop feeding the copepods, you could be looking at this (my picture, but NOT my tank).....

So, if I leave them be, will the eventually kill corals? How can I reduce the population, considering it is a 14 Gallon tank?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only safe ones are the white/clear ones...
Do you dip your corals before you put them in there?
It might be a good time to start moving livestock over to the 40 if you are ready :)

OP
OP
rvamarcel

rvamarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only safe ones are the white/clear ones...
Do you dip your corals before you put them in there?
It might be a good time to start moving livestock over to the 40 if you are ready :)

The 40 is going through the uglies, algae here and there, etc.

I'm also struggling a bit with top offs. I'm experimenting putting a bit of filtration media between the walls of the bubble trap, which has worked for polishing the water, but it affects the water level in the return chamber. My salinity at this moment is pretty pretty high [emoji849]

I'm actually getting ready to start a thread to get some advice on that tank...

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I leave them be, will the eventually kill corals? How can I reduce the population, considering it is a 14 Gallon tank?

How old is your tank? No, it won't kill your corals.

OP
OP
rvamarcel

rvamarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? No, it won't kill your corals.

Sorry I didn't reply yesterday. Everything decided to happen at the same time :|

The tank is 5 months old. Here's pictures from today. Everyone is kinda ticked off. Please excuse the dirty glass, if I cleaned it the worms would have been squashed releasing the toxins that would nuke everything to smithereens (right?)

1fcd7f3c1878a14dee8626c1b88b5fe2.jpg

60898e4d46dcfe7b86d27503755d48aa.jpg

So, there are growing in size and quantity... :(

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove what you can and treat with FW Exit.
A small siphon hose that drains into a filter sock works well.
Pay close attention to the instructions and remember that they will be toxic so large amounts dying off at one time can be harmful.

OP
OP
rvamarcel

rvamarcel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, three attempts and about 40 drops of flatworm eXit later, those things are still in the tank thumb nosing me.

I made sure nothing could interfere, carbon or anything else. Any tips before I double the dose tonight?

Samuel111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... my picture, but NOT my tank).....

sorry, an old post, and my question is not related to the initial one but rather refers to this last photo — these hard green like-bubbles - what are those? A plant? Good or bad? I have few grown by my meat coral...

thanks for an answer.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, an old post, and my question is not related to the initial one but rather refers to this last photo — these hard green like-bubbles - what are those? A plant? Good or bad? I have few grown by my meat coral...

thanks for an answer.
Those are bubble algae a nuisance algae. If you have some post a new thread you will get a better response.

Welcome to reef2reef
IMG_20190105_202102_01.gif

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks for an answer.
If you can remove the coral from the tank, you can gently remove the bubble algae from the coral. Rinse the coral in some extra tank water in a bucket if you accidentally pop one.

Back