What are you adding SPS tank?

McGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading all about all to products out there for SPS, some for growth, some for colors, some for Nitrates? How does one know what is necessary and whats not? Does more water changes help? If I get a bottle of each I may have to skip some meals or take a loan. Any thoughts? What is working for you?
Thanks
Mike

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not believe in additives of any kind that can't be tested for.
The only thing you need to add is
calcium, alk, mag, potassium. Add enough each day to keep those tested parameters stable and not moving up and down. Alk being the 100% the biggest one to keep stable on the money. If it fluctuates it could cause RTN. The next very important thing is to have a decent bio load of fish. Feed them well, but not messy that will help with color.
This info is based on you having all the right equipment already including lighting.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key along with stable parameters. Especially the big 3 (CA/ALK/MG). As for additives you're better off taking it slow until you have stability. Too many additives, parameter swings, over or underfeeding can be a real headache. Everyone prefers different methods and all seem to have good or bad results. There is a big market for products such as Red Sea colors ABCD, Aquaforest, KZ products along with other additives such as Acropower, etc... If you're just starting good ol fish poop will get you through ups and downs with SPS. From there you should be able to work out the rest as you go. Take your time...

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a road we all walked before only now you won't see the forest due to the trees :rolleyes:
30+ years ago we had only one bottle and called it beer, everything else we fed the corals game from the fish poop.
Now day I feed a balanced diet of a few frozen foods to my fish, mix in there some oyster feast and AA and we're done.
Oh and I feed nitrate twice a day.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, to clarify, feeding the fish to get better color is because the fish deficate and feed the corals. This keeps organic nutrients in the water to feed the corals thus coloring em up.
Now balancing no3 and po4 would be another conversation to prevent algae growth. So poop adds nutrients but you need to constantly remove Nutrients before they break down into waste causing no3 and po4. Too much of this will brown the sps and reduce growth.

OP
OP
McGee

McGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk has been an up and down having to dose by hand it may be some of my problem

OP
OP
McGee

McGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key along with stable parameters. Especially the big 3 (CA/ALK/MG). As for additives you're better off taking it slow until you have stability. Too many additives, parameter swings, over or underfeeding can be a real headache. Everyone prefers different methods and all seem to have good or bad results. There is a big market for products such as Red Sea colors ABCD, Aquaforest, KZ products along with other additives such as Acropower, etc... If you're just starting good ol fish poop will get you through ups and downs with SPS. From there you should be able to work out the rest as you go. Take your time...

Some of my Acro's are 3 years old just feel like they should be growing faster and are pail/ blotchy. Fish load is somewhat low 11 medium size fish in an 2000gal system. was thinking of trying the Red Sea ABCD. On friday I removed most of the chado in the refugium thinking water was to clean and by sunday could see better color. Maybe just running to clean! Also went from feeding once a day to 3 times. Anyone used the Red Sea ABCD?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my Acro's are 3 years old just feel like they should be growing faster and are pail/ blotchy. Fish load is somewhat low 11 medium size fish in an 2000gal system. was thinking of trying the Red Sea ABCD. On friday I removed most of the chado in the refugium thinking water was to clean and by sunday could see better color. Maybe just running to clean! Also went from feeding once a day to 3 times. Anyone used the Red Sea ABCD?
I use Red Sea ABCD and does twice a week roughly. Never had much of a color issue. I feed heavily and skim 24/7. My N03 is around .5-10ppm. What is your N03 at? It'll play a factor in your colors. If your N03 is on the low side you may want to try dosing Brightwells Neo Nitro. Some others prefer to use stump remover from Home Depot for additional nitrogen. I guess you get more for your buck and its a similar product.

OP
OP
McGee

McGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, to clarify, feeding the fish to get better color is because the fish deficate and feed the corals. This keeps organic nutrients in the water to feed the corals thus coloring em up.
Now balancing no3 and po4 would be another conversation to prevent algae growth. So poop adds nutrients but you need to constantly remove Nutrients before they break down into waste causing no3 and po4. Too much of this will brown the sps and reduce growth.

I don't understand, it looks like I need Nitrates but I am still having to clean the glass every three days. Fish pop = Nitrates which It starting to look like I need, yet that would mean low nutrient right, so why am I cleaning the glass every three days?

OP
OP
McGee

McGee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea ABCD and does twice a week roughly. Never had much of a color issue. I feed heavily and skim 24/7. My N03 is around .5-10ppm. What is your N03 at? It'll play a factor in your colors. If your N03 is on the low side you may want to try dosing Brightwells Neo Nitro. Some others prefer to use stump remover from Home Depot for additional nitrogen. I guess you get more for your buck and its a similar product.

No3 is very low! What tests kit are you using? I am using Red Sea.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
11 fish in a 200 is not a heavy enough bioload IMO. Add fish and it will fix your problem. My friend has 18 in a 180 and feels his bioload is too soft. I have 10 in a 125 and feel I am about right. A Heavier bioload will color up your tank. I have had that problem several times in the past. Adding fish slowly, and bumping up the feeding slowly will help. Just do it carefully and watch your nutrients. Find the balance......

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back