What Are You Doing to Reduce Shadowing?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a canopy to add t5s to my AI primes. I have 3 primes on a Reefer 250 and definitely have shadow problems even on small frags. The only way to see the color of the corals right now is to look top down, so hopefully the t5s allow me to see better color when looking through the glass.
MAke sure you vent. these are cool, some you can put small computer fans in
http://veada.com/pontoon-boat-parts/air-flow-vent.html?gclid=CIPCi5ze_c4CFQQxaQodWhEK-w

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried led only with wide angle lenses, eventually switched to an 8 tube Pacific Sun hybrid with led supplement. ;)

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with shaded areas using LED's. I'd like to supplement, I suppose with t5's, one day.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting set-up with a pair of radions and have been thinking about this. If I were to paint the bottom of the radions white and fabricate some kind of " shade" around light, would this give a softer light. I know the leds wouldn't hit these directly, but would create a bit of "fill" around where LEDS hit in tank. Anybody think this would work?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting set-up with a pair of radions and have been thinking about this. If I were to paint the bottom of the radions white and fabricate some kind of " shade" around light, would this give a softer light. I know the leds wouldn't hit these directly, but would create a bit of "fill" around where LEDS hit in tank. Anybody think this would work?
eh kinda yes. You be better with a canopy or floating canopy and having the light at a good height

On my cube I actually looked at lamp shades at Ikea. One had white one had silver.
Chepo me they were $40 bucks so I got the $8 curtain kit and some fabric

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
57f8d367852319fcc5e1978e4d7cad2f.jpg

A work in progress. I see a definite improvement in shadowing.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An coral tank with zero showdown looks very unnatural to me. I do fear that shadowing in my tank could become a problem if/when my acros grow out but as of right now I don't mind shadows at all.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An coral tank with zero showdown looks very unnatural to me. I do fear that shadowing in my tank could become a problem if/when my acros grow out but as of right now I don't mind shadows at all.
not that kind of shadowing. a sharp edge made by a single lightsource overhead esp a lensed light.. On a reef or outside the light is a bit more spread, or a high t5 fixture on a tank.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not that kind of shadowing. a sharp edge made by a single lightsource overhead esp a lensed light.. On a reef or outside the light is a bit more spread, or a high t5 fixture on a tank.

I have Kessil AP700s, they do create shadows.
c718e2680250931e50b1e683c3a26ee6.jpg

My system and corals are still young.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that one that one this week end. Amazingly good spread and actually lack of shadowing is quite good. The reflector and lens optics engineering is ingenious. And simple.
Check out the shadow area in your pic. Then google some Kessil images or Chinese black box. Notice how in most pictures the rock is correctly exposed and the shadow is black. In your pic the shadow area still has detail. So some light in it. Not no light. A common prob in led.

I have Kessil AP700s, they do create shadows.
c718e2680250931e50b1e683c3a26ee6.jpg

My system and corals are still young.
is week end. For a two emitter light they did a good job

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that one that one this week end. Amazingly good spread and actually lack of shadowing is quite good. The reflector and lens optics engineering is ingenious. And simple.
Check out the shadow area in your pic. Then google some Kessil images or Chinese black box. Notice how in most pictures the rock is correctly exposed and the shadow is black. In your pic the shadow area still has detail. So some light in it. Not no light. A common prob in led.

is week end. For a two emitter light they did a good job

Yes, you are right. I chose these lights just for that in fact. The fixture is genus, a single fisheye lens that blends the output perfectly and a reflector that pushes the light out evenly. Though it cost me this fixture is worth every penny. I've measured 200+ almost 300 PAR in the corners at the bottom of my tank. This Kessil AP700 is very underrated. Still it is a single point output so I might consider adding a few T5s, out only if there is just so much coral light can not pass through, lol, I can wish right.
Thanks for the kind words.

Shadows are a problem for LEDs, they are single point and can not add a large reflector like a MH. However the best coral tanks I've seen myself are Kessil 360s+ few T5s. Honestly this might just be the very best lighting for corals period. Best of both worlds.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are right. I chose these lights just for that in fact. The fixture is genus, a single fisheye lens that blends the output perfectly and a reflector that pushes the light out evenly. Though it cost me this fixture is worth every penny. I've measured 200+ almost 300 PAR in the corners at the bottom of my tank. This Kessil AP700 is very underrated. Still it is a single point output so I might consider adding a few T5s, out only if there is just so much coral light can not pass through, lol, I can wish right.
Thanks for the kind words.

Shadows are a problem for LEDs, they are single point and can not add a large reflector like a MH. However the best coral tanks I've seen myself are Kessil 360s+ few T5s. Honestly this might just be the very best lighting for corals period. Best of both worlds.
What par meter are you using.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, that was 70% at there current height. 7" from water. To be honest I don't dare take it over 70, easily bleached a few monits. I was surprised they perform that well myself.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, that was 70% at there current height. 7" from water. To be honest I don't dare take it over 70, easily bleached a few monits. I was surprised they perform that well myself.
If you have power to spare you may want to try raising the lights higher and just increase the power to compensate. Did that with my Hydra's and got much better results than with the lights set lower and dialed back.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back