What are you using to test salinity?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really just wanting to get an idea of what everyone is using to test their salinity and how accurate, precise, consistent it is. How often do you have to calibrate it? Any negatives? I recently purchased the Milwaukee digital refractometer and I'm pretty upset with it for how much it cost. I'm constantly calibrating it, it can test 2 different levels with pressing read twice back to back, constantly .002 over. Looking for different options.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use this BRS refractometer. Always done well by me.

El Grunto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have the Hanna pen thing. It showed exactly what my refractometer showed the one time I compared both when I first got it after calibrating.

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use this BRS refractometer. Always done well by me.

You know those exact same ATC refractometers are half the price if BRS doesn’t slap their name on it?

also, I found that when re-calibrating with those (which I have to do at least once a week since I got mine used), if you don’t shake the calibration juice results are way off? So I assume if you used it more than once without shaking the calibration juice you might need a new juice for accurate results.

-what I’ve learned last month during my first 2 weeks of reefing :/ hope my mistakes will help fellow newbies reading this :)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS refractometer. Wish I hadn't spent extra for the lighted one. Doesn't work well for me. Never use it..any room, window or flash light works better. Not bothered enough to replace it though.

Calibrate with refractojuice every week or so. Have to adjust it maybe once every 3-4 months.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard or used the Tropic Marin hydrometer? Supposedly extremely accurate with zero calibration needed. Only downsides are size and how fragile it is.

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard or used the Tropic Marin hydrometer? Supposedly extremely accurate with zero calibration needed. Only downsides are size and how fragile it is.
Wow I didn’t know this existed!! Is it really that big? The refractometer by ATC is annoying to use and is also pretty big too and needs calibration....

I’m actually ordering this right now. So much easier. At feeding time when you turn off the pumps, just dump this in the tank and read the levels. Thanks for sharing this!!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I didn’t know this existed!! Is it really that big? The refractometer by ATC is annoying to use and is also pretty big too and needs calibration....

I’m actually ordering this right now. So much easier. At feeding time when you turn off the pumps, just dump this in the tank and read the levels. Thanks for sharing this!!
Theres a whole thread on it if you'd like me to share. They recommend purchasing a 500ml graduated cylinder along with it so its not flying around your tank because it needs still water.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I mix up a batch of new SW I dial in the salinity with the Tropic Marin hydrometer. Then I calibrate and measure with the Milwaukee and it has been pretty spot on for me. It may be off by 0.001 but it is consistent enough for what I need.

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a whole thread on it if you'd like me to share. They recommend purchasing a 500ml graduated cylinder along with it so its not flying around your tank because it needs still water.
I have a couple of those cylinders and similar things to measure alcohol content for my homemade distilling operation (I do it where it’s legal).

so much easier to use than the ATC/brs. Maybe I’m biased because I’m very familiar with it

El Grunto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know those exact same ATC refractometers are half the price if BRS doesn’t slap their name on it?

also, I found that when re-calibrating with those (which I have to do at least once a week since I got mine used), if you don’t shake the calibration juice results are way off? So I assume if you used it more than once without shaking the calibration juice you might need a new juice for accurate results.

-what I’ve learned last month during my first 2 weeks of reefing :/ hope my mistakes will help fellow newbies reading this :)
I always rinse off with RO/DI water then dry between testing.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont think ATC is the brand, it stands for automatic temperature correction. I could be wrong though.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound OCD, but I’m really annoyed by the fact the HANA probe uses the abbreviation ppt for parts per thousand. This is the abbreviation for parts per trillion. I have seen this cause serious confusion, especially to people new I the reef hobby. Chemists don’t abbreviate parts per thousand for this reason. At least it has SG mode though, that’s a plus.

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing- and I mean absolutely nothing comes close to the accuracy, precision, resolution and ease of use as the Tropic Marin precision glass hydrometer.. the only way you can be more accurate is to measure/weigh/boil off/reweigh the salt in the sample. I gave away my refractometer and bought a second backup TM hydrometer in case I break my first one. two years and still intact...

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cut a piece of pvc to isolate it from turbulence. I just tuck it in the corner of my cheap plastic trimmed tanks to keep it steady.

Attachments

• CE5102E2-3EDA-449A-88FE-4E7EB93D0BA2.jpeg
    CE5102E2-3EDA-449A-88FE-4E7EB93D0BA2.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 52

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing- and I mean absolutely nothing comes close to the accuracy, precision, resolution and ease of use as the Tropic Marin precision glass hydrometer.. the only way you can be more accurate is to measure/weigh/boil off/reweigh the salt in the sample. I gave away my refractometer and bought a second backup TM hydrometer in case I break my first one. two years and still intact...
The measure/weigh/boil off/reweigh process is theoretically the most accurate, but you need to be insanely precise with every single step. As any student who's taken gen chem or organic chem lab will tell you, even minor errors can have a dramatic impact on the result.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back