What are your 'Live and Learn' examples and experiences?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to hear what you guys have learned from mistakes in the hobby. I know I've made several and will likely make more. Instances where you learn from them and move on, hopefully without catastrophic failure following behind - the best instances of Live and Learn are those that are a passing thing without too much consequence. Personally, I've learned a big one recently - don't rely wholly on a single piece of equipment.

Other things I've learned:
Seller images can often be misleading.
If a coral is showing bright blue in a picture, it's most likely reflecting the blue lighting.
Some situations don't require an immediate resolution. (Most situations!)

Share your Live and Learn experiences!

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely wore goggles when cutting zoanthids as over 13 years I never saw them squirt toxins. This year I grabbed a polyp a little to hard and it shot some poison out like a little squirt gun. Luckily it was the opposite direction of me. I will now ALWAYS wear goggles when handling them.

crannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most recently... don't treat a sick fish in the dt. And use the recommended meds. Might have saved my blenny :disappointed-face:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any point in quarantining if you can't keep the tank 10 feet from the display? (Within erosol transmission range apparently)
Actually my quarantine is less than 10 ft away, more like 5 ft. But I do have plywood doors in between them. I'm sure that helps a lot.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quarantine is your friend. Even an initially healthy looking fish can carry velvet into your tank and wipe it out completely.

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow instructions when building something, and you won't end up like me building a tank stand upside down and then having to rebuild it again.
Ha, ha, when I was a kid I used to build plastic model airplanes. I remember ending up with the little man that that was supposed to go into his seat before the two halves of the plane were glued together.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched 1000,s of videos, read 1000,s of Articles.. thought I would have an overnight success story of Reef Tank!

Wrong!

Went through months of issues. If I had done it right way...set it all up, let run for 4 months then added fish/Corals, would have saved $1500

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter how watchful you are during cleaning - fish will jump and you won’t see them. Anytime your hands are in the tank and the lid is off - do regular roll calls to ensure nobody left the tank.

It’s happened to me a few times in my 1 year of reefing. I got a piece of plexiglass to put over the half of the tank I’m not working in and it seems to help.

Some may ask, why my hands are in the tank so much. Typical weekly cleaning of algae on the seams of the tank, scraping bubble algae, etc. Hopefully I have the bubble algae under control and won’t be in there as much.

Oh, and when I recently added a Diamond Goby, I added him through the little feeding area of the lid. Forgot to put that small piece back, a 2.5” x 4.5” opening, he jumped. Found him all dried up on top of the lid a few hours later. Never leave them an opening - they’ll find it!

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter how watchful you are during cleaning - fish will jump and you won’t see them. Anytime your hands are in the tank and the lid is off - do regular roll calls to ensure nobody left the tank.

It’s happened to me a few times in my 1 year of reefing. I got a piece of plexiglass to put over the half of the tank I’m not working in and it seems to help.

Some may ask, why my hands are in the tank so much. Typical weekly cleaning of algae on the seams of the tank, scraping bubble algae, etc. Hopefully I have the bubble algae under control and won’t be in there as much.

Oh, and when I recently added a Diamond Goby, I added him through the little feeding area of the lid. Forgot to put that small piece back, a 2.5” x 4.5” opening, he jumped. Found him all dried up on top of the lid a few hours later. Never leave them an opening - they’ll find it!
Good advice here. I always cover the back part of my tank when my hands are in.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back