What are your other hobbies?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scuba diving, particularly sharks last few years. TRAVEL ...sigh of late
Rescueing Newfoundland Dogs, always lol.
Bimini Great Hammerhead dive
20201118_235221.jpg My 4 Newfs, only Miya the lady bottom right still with us but more to come....certainly.
20201118_235239.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have become obsessed with the movies young guns 1 and 2, midlife always leads there I figure, might as well grasp it now.

since I live three and a half hours from lincoln new mexico I've now transferred the minor obsession onto actual billy the kid archaeology, you'd be surprised at what is available to see. not fenced off, exposed to the elements, archaeology.

i have been overlanding like a wild digital man all over new mexico tracing out archaeological sites where the kid actually stood, slept, or became offed.

these drone videos show very rare sights regarding billy locations on site, in the wilds of nm.

for example, my rarest shot was actual stinking spring location. earned permission from the land owner to film, took some time developing
this is stinking springs. in young guns 2, keifer sutherland steps out/doc to escape the rock house and is shot. This is the actual foundation of the rock house that in real life billy, dave r, a horse, bowdre and another outlaw holed up in. doc was not here in real life, at stinking springs but for the movie they made it that way.

in western books and articles, the snipers with garrett claimed to be about 50 feet out from the rock house when they took bowdre, the mapping software on the drone measured the shot at 58 feet.

wagon tracks heading into clovis are apparent even after 139 years ish. the way the plains erode around Clovis is very unique.

That above is the actual physical location an hour outside of Clovis of the real stinking spring, where this hollywood portrayal was representing. I was dead set on finding the actual location of this adobe shack. Done. my greatest adventure of them all.

the owner of the property is very selective on who gets out there to film, which is why all the set stones have not been ripped off yet.

and that above is john tunstalls murder site. the whole lincoln county war started due to shots fired specifically here, out on a jeep trail outside Glencoe nm. open to the public. back when i found that, direct location was not avail online it took legit hunting for it, now I think it's been posted by coordinates for geolocators to enjoy but it took about 5 trips in the mountains to find this site, gave me cold chills when i finally saw it looking down from the drone. its not an easy jeep trail to get to it, either. very steep in places.

Very cool stuff Brandon.

The wild west has some treasures if you can find them. I spent about a year living in Phoenix and bought a book called "Explore Arizona" which had all sorts of wild west forgotten history like ghosts towns, mining towns, indian ruins, etc. I focused on the indian ruins, but in my travels, on the side of the road in Globe, AZ I found a gravesite which listed a person who was a guide to Zane Grey. Of course I didn't write down the name or take a picture of the site and the last time I searched for it years later is was gone.

My dad still lives in Arizona and isn't far from Tombstone and the ghost towns of Charleston and Millville.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and to find Johnny ringos grave it’s in southern az near Chiricahua mtns :)

at the top where the road loops: site of pat Garrett shooting billy the kid in 1881 July. Bosque Redondo ft sumner nm

the maxwell house site location where billy was shot, and documented by the coroners inquest the next day.
3479827D-F7D6-42B3-A1A2-2B240720E31F.jpeg

Last edited:

Staindsoul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishing of course!!!
fishing.jpg

Nice crook jaw!

Fishing is life for me, fresh and salt. Finally got our rig last year. I have been cutting my teeth on Chesapeake Bay flats fishing and cobia. My boy, angler (black lab) is always by my side. Haha

IMG_20200626_154721.jpg IMG_20171219_130047~2.jpg Screenshot_20201119-195401.png IMG_20200906_151027.jpg IMG_20200718_113624.jpg IMG_20200904_145225.jpg IMG_20200621_123447.jpg

Last edited:

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice crook jaw!

Fishing is life for me, fresh and salt. Finally got our rig last year. I have been cutting my teeth on Chesapeake Bay flats fishing and cobia. My boy, angler, is always by my side. Haha
That's awesome! Wish my girls were more into fishing. I went down to Nicaragua last year for some cobia but no luck. I caught my 70lb king up in British Columbia!

PBJ_Lotus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of car people in here!

I love hiking with the dogs. I have a shiba inu and a Siberian husky who are both 11. My gf has a toy poodle. We have a couple of skilkie chicks and a 180 gallon koi pond.
My biggest passion for the past 20 years has been cars.

Attachments

• 9DD93259-1C80-499D-8C7C-55D5136348E6.jpeg
    9DD93259-1C80-499D-8C7C-55D5136348E6.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 4

Staindsoul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reallllllyyy want to go to labrador for their monster brookies or iceland for the artic chars. Or belize for permit...gah too many fish not enough time!

I'll bust 50" next year on the cobia off the tower.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reallllllyyy want to go to labrador for their monster brookies or iceland for the artic chars. Or belize for permit...gah too many fish not enough time!

I'll bust 50" next year on the cobia off the tower.
Are you still in Richmond? I just moved from there to south Florida. You ever go for the monster blue cats there? My buddy is a guide and pulls in 100 pounders all the time.

Staindsoul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still in Richmond? I just moved from there to south Florida. You ever go for the monster blue cats there? My buddy is a guide and pulls in 100 pounders all the time.

Work in richmond. Live in king william.

Haven't been catfishing in years. Whose your buddy? I'm assuming he guides on the james.

Where in Florida?

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work in richmond. Live in king william.

Haven't been catfishing in years. Whose your buddy? I'm assuming he guides on the james.

Where in Florida?
I actually lived in Ashland and moved to Ft Lauderdale. John Garland is the catfish guy. I know many state team bass guys up there. Good friends with Woo Daves as well.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until recently when a knee problem forced me to retire from it, I was into shuffle-skating in roller rinks..... There I am on the far left, looking inordinately pleased with myself after a session of hard disco skating to retro music.... The Crew @ SAM_HR.jpg

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me reefers, is it just reefkeeping or are you into other hobbies?!

I find it interesting that I share some random things in common with most of my fellow fishkeeper friends.. and I also find that a lot of the same people are very busy people lol.

I’m into a million hobbies. Some I’m not really sure are hobbies, and I’m new to reef keeping but we’ll say it counts.. but for me personally:
- Horses, I’ve ridden since I was 5 years old, always have always will, competitively and just for fun. My horse Sammy is 24 yrs old and I’ve had him for 17 years!
- Skiing - every winter, any weekend that I can!
- Dogs.. I love dogs. And cats, but mostly dogs. I compete my aussie in agility and go to AKC trials several times a year.
- Painting, drawing, sketching.. any kind of art really.. I love projects and new crafty things to work on
- Rally racing. Cars in general. I take my STi to the track every once and a while! I’ve also never owned an automatic vehicle lol.
- Kayaking, hiking, camping, boating, all the outdoorsy things.. we do it.
- ball pythons.. not so much any more (no time for it) but we had a really cool breeding pair and sold several clutches! Only have the lone male now.

I’m sure there’s more, but reefing is my newest hobby.. but I’m crazy and like to keep busy. :) what about you?
Nice lets just say i have another hobby that uses even more expensive lights...lol and involves even more chemistry to grow a certain plant... this made me a very hands on person learning about electricity and lighting making my own grow lights from meanwell drivers and samsung diodes learning how to do carpentry building grow rooms which later led to me building my own tanks and my own garage and replacing metal roof, hvac and welding and agriculture, all of these productive things can be learned by doing something lucrative its kinda funny if you think about it... then bounce mushrooms came around and i can make 300$ a square inch instead a square foot lol in half the time too with a quarter of the electricity. Also have had intense jobs too being a burner for csx(cutting up traincars with a torch, machinery the size of houses and buildings the sizes of cities all for pennies on the dollar away from my family shivering in the cold and in pain no 15 minute breaks just work 10hours a day no lunch,osha regulation goes out the door,the ground literally catches on fire a minute feels like an hour an hour feels like a day a day feels like a month just longing for a bath a warm meal my dog and my fish 1000s of miles away from home working 60hours plus a 7 days a week on the road.When i coulda stayed home sat on my butt and make the same amount of money if not double,i also worked for the erie lackawanna line as a private contractor for some years as a dispatcher to the blue room on a helper locamotive when im not working or hustling i take the weekend to cut timbers with my uncle rick and we go to lfs and farm and fleet, my day is 8 hours of work 8 hours of hustling 2 hours with dog and fish shower 6 hours of sleep wake up repeat when im home, when im away its work 10 to 12 hours whenever they tell me im done or im out of work for the day then back to my motel or hotel double bath then eat browse ig or r2r....never get a job in a manufacturing sector it takes the life right outta you and will make you an old man before your time.... as you wither away walking 20 miles a day through mud and slag sinking every step you take... being a supervisors even worse you have to be a friend a boss a psycologist a mathematician and a harda$$ to make sure everything flows in transit smoothly making sure 20 plus people are always on the same page or injury or worse(god rest their souls)occurs

Last edited:

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Opperating crane at a foundry is hardwork too i got pimped out to do that by a temp agency and did it for about 8 month stint and took a bid somewhere else,you cough up black soot everytime you cough or breath in air too hard,lets just say ol nick dosent miss the furnace or his kettle, or the gators i splashed on the floor

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back