What bio-filter media do you use?

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my DIY sump and wonder what all of you guys use for biofilter media? I see the plastic bio balls. One brick for like 50 bucks. wondering which one is the best or preferences.

I was planning on getting this one for my sump.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tank size, I use maxspec balls, what you link could be ok, hard to say, experiments I’ve seen do seen to show that some media are a lot better than others, you don’t need a lot of it either, so I wouldn’t over do it.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock and rubble in the sump. I do also keep a mesh bag of ceramic media in the sump to use in a OT tank at a moments notice, its some basic Petco stuff.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even have a sump. So any of the rock or media you're wondering about IMO isn't even needed.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even have a sump. So any of the rock or media you're wondering about IMO isn't even needed.
I think this is mostly true, but if you have minimal rock in the display, some supplemental surface area in the sump might be a good idea. And, I don't think you can too much surface area for bacteria.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is mostly true, but if you have minimal rock in the display, some supplemental surface area in the sump might be a good idea. And, I don't think you can too much surface area for bacteria.
Correct. I'm an anti NSA guy though. Guess I didn't consider that.

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bag of Seachem Matrix waiting. (See build thread for other details.) Matrix is porous, which gives it loads of surface area internally, making it very efficient.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use K1 media but they float which is interesting cause it means they are never on the floor collecting detritis but they hafve to be encapsulated in a mesh bag

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of live rock in the sump along with max spec ceramic plates. about 5 months ago I ditched the bio pellets and but in the reactor Aquaforest Life Bio Fill. I liked it so much that I added it to my sumps in the Seahorse tank and my newly started LPS tank

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax for me, too. If you can filter the water before it hits the siporax it will clog more slowly and allow anaerobic action deep in the pores.

Buddy77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my DIY sump and wonder what all of you guys use for biofilter media? I see the plastic bio balls. One brick for like 50 bucks. wondering which one is the best or preferences.

I was planning on getting this one for my sump.

Plastic pot scrubbies from the Dollar general for a dollar a pack

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about clay flower pots? Un-glazed. Break them up to make rubble, may be the least expensive.

Back