What burns your gills? Reef peeves?

Mason Ciarpella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get really annoyed when people misplace corals. I see so many people placing tabling and plating acroporas completely upright or slanted upwards when they are supposed to grow outwards horizontally. Same thing with plating montis, I see so many people glue flat pieces of monti cap down completely onto the rock work. In order for it to actually plate properly, you have to glue one side to the rock so it sticks out horizontally and can grow out.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flip side of my original pet peeve, but similar “if you think x is too expensive this hobby clearly isn’t for you”

edit: this hobby does not have to break the bank. It’s supposed to be for your enjoyment. There are plenty of ways to be successful without bankrupting yourself

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flip side of my original pet peeve, but similar “if you think x is too expensive this hobby clearly isn’t for you”

edit: this hobby does not have to break the bank. It’s supposed to be for your enjoyment. There are plenty of ways to be successful without bankrupting yourself
Truer words have never been spoken! My tank was almost exclusively built from offerup and craigslist, mostly from people getting out of the hobby and selling everything cheap!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are there so many Power cords! I try so hard to keep things clean and organized only to deal with a cluster funk of cables. Companies need to sell or offer shorter/longer wire options. Some wires only need 2ft of cable but they send you a 14ft power supply and a rubber band lol

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truer words have never been spoken! My tank was almost exclusively built from offerup and craigslist, mostly from people getting out of the hobby and selling everything cheap!

If a person can afford the expensive stuff great. But the attitude that “if you don’t do it my way because I can afford it and you can’t, you don’t belong in this hobby” is elitist. And it has no place here

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a person can afford the expensive stuff great. But the attitude that “if you don’t do it my way because I can afford it and you can’t, you don’t belong in this hobby” is elitist. And it has no place here

Phrased a little different it rings true. if you can’t afford the expensive stuff needed for certain livestock you shouldn’t be in that part of the hobby.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phrased a little different it rings true. if you can’t afford the expensive stuff needed for certain livestock you shouldn’t be in that part of the hobby.

true enough. But that comes down to researching before you buy. There are plenty of people who have big name everything and still can’t keep the more challenging livestock.

and looking at it that way is misreading the point. You don’t need 800$ a pop lights to grow sps. You don’t need a $600 dc return to succeed. The list goes on.

Last edited:

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true enough. But that comes down to researching before you buy. There are plenty of people who have big name everything and still can’t keep the more challenging livestock.

and looking at it that way is misreading the point. You don’t need 800$ a pop lights to grow sps. You don’t need a $600 dc return to succeed. The list goes on.
This forum and every hobbyist forum is riddled with people who jumped before they looked. Number one piece of advice for anyone doing anything.. Due diligence and research is more valuable than even the most expensive equipment money can buy.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum and every hobbyist forum is riddled with people who jumped before they looked. Number one piece of advice for anyone doing anything.. Due diligence and research is more valuable than even the most expensive equipment money can buy.

“Impatience is the most expensive mistake”

Don’t know a more concise way to sum up your point. And I completely agree

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my early morning contemplation, I've discovered something else that annoys me.. Break-in on a skimmer. Two weeks darn it, go away bubbles you're ugly!

Side note: I miss having an in-stand sump and tuneable skimmer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back