What can I add as replacement fish

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas Blenny and Royal Gramma never liked each other. They ended up getting into it pretty bad, and both died from a result of the fight. Im now back to just 4 fish. I have Banggai cardinal, Clown, Flame Hawk, and Melanrus wrassse. What are some good ideas for replacement fish, that will get along with what I have, and each other. Tank is a 40 breeder.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas Blenny and Royal Gramma never liked each other. They ended up getting into it pretty bad, and both died from a result of the fight. Im now back to just 4 fish. I have Banggai cardinal, Clown, Flame Hawk, and Melanrus wrassse. What are some good ideas for replacement fish, that will get along with what I have, and each other. Tank is a 40 breeder.
With an established flame hawk it's hard to say, if it's anything like mine, it's territorial as all hell, and they are known to be somewhat aggressive. I made the mistake of adding a Lawnmower blenny to the tank he was in and the Lawnmower got hammered almost immediately, and that behavior persisted the rest of the day and overnight, so I moved the Flame Hawk to my other tank the next morning.

However, both of those occupy the same areas, so that could be the issue. You *should* in my opinion, get 2 more Banggai, they do better in odd numbered groups. So 3, 5, 7, etc. You *could* get another clown. You might also try an Orchid Dottyback. Most of the Goby's should be ok with the rest of those fish. Are there any fish you're partial to? or a particular part of the tank you're wanting to have occupied? Might help narrow down the question.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get a second Bangaii in a 40 breeder, just my 2c. If the fish ends up male it will likely turn into an aggressive bully.

You could try some sort of fang blenny, something from genus Meiacanthus. They have venomous bites (at least wild ones do) and in my experience swim with a confidence knowing they have a defense mechanism. But I would be cautious to get something slightly larger as your hawkfish could eat it if it gets hungry, and you want something that can watch out for itself.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about another Banggai, the one I have is already pretty mean. He gets mad if the Flame Hawk lands near his spot. I was looking at a Neon Dottyback, what about those?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about another Banggai, the one I have is already pretty mean. He gets mad if the Flame Hawk lands near his spot. I was looking at a Neon Dottyback, what about those?
I love neon dottybacks but that is a shark in a small package. The one I had was a perfect tank mate but I have heard stories!!!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas Blenni usually do not like other fish with long bodies like they have.

Neon Dottyback would be good, but not with another Midas.

I've had my Midas for almost 4 months, with 3 Clowns and a Falco Hawk...every once in a while, they (hawk-Midas) bump heads, but, usually peaceful towards each other.

I will not (even though I really want to) add any other long body fish because of this.

My Falco just ate my Cleaner Shrimp 2 days ago!!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, are Benggai temperaments really that different from Pajama's? I don't get Cardinal Fish very often... 20 something years ago when I started my first FOWLR tank I had a single Banggai and he seemed peaceful enough, I don;'t really recall any aggression from it. Fast Forward to my daughter's tank, she wanted Cardinals, so we opted for 3 PJ's, and they are super peaceful in her tank, they don't bother anyone, and in fact, the orchid dottyback darts out and spooks them every once in a while, they seem super meek.

As Roatan and Santana said, Dottybacks are cool, but they are more aggressive... about the same as the Flame Hawkfish really, I like Dottybacks so much my daughter and I both have one in our respective tanks. Hers lives alongside 2 clowns, a lawnmower blenny, a hector's goby, 3 PJ Cardinals, a Blue Cleaner Wrasse and a Skunk Cleaner shrimp.

Mine lives alongside 2 Oscellaris Clowns, 3 Blue Chromis, a Rainford's/Court Jester Goby, and a Banded Sleeper Goby. I'll be putting in a Tomini Tang, and a McCosker's Flasher or Melanarus Wrasse to round that tank out. This is the tank with the Flame Hawk, but he's being traded with the LFS for some coral just because of how aggressive he gets, he's currently in a breeder box in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Engineer goby
twin spot blenny
Yellow coris wrasse
diadema basslet
Flame angel

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need something thats gonna be fast and aggressive when food hits the water. The current 4 fish I have are like a stampede when the food comes. My Royal Gramma was always last to get any, and even then it was just leftovers. Combine that with the fight he got into with the Midas and he was done for.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back