What can I do to improve quality with what I have?

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a software that can reduce the intense blues/UV we get with our lights.

Heres an example of my recent video shot with iPhone. Nothing special but I'm just wondering how I can improve the quality...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for “aquarium camera “app. Leta you manually tweak the color by eye before you shoot.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take perfectly good pictures with the native camera on an iPhone if that’s what you have. You just have to do some things to it. It’s a combination of orange filters and adobe light room.

I’ve gotten much better pictures that way than with the aquarium cam app or with the manual app that lets you adjust iso, white balance, and f stop.

Here’s my process with some example shots.
This maricultured acro isn’t exactly a beauty, but you can see how I tackle the over saturation of blues without making the picture look green (which is what happens all too often with hobbyists and even sellers that take super blue picture, and then crank the reds up in post processing. All wrong)

Here is the plain picture. Phone to glass. Point and shoot. Bulb combo is 4 blue+, 1 True actinic, 1 purple+

4c51578aec4d6bffa2abf76ac6f7671b.jpg

The key is to get close to the source.

Focus, and adjust the exposure by sliding up or down on the focus box.

Take your picture with an orange filter over the lens. You can buy a specialized one that fits the phone or camera. I just use a pair or orange safety glasses from the hardware store. What you get is a very orange and red looking picture, almost as if it was taken under a 3000k or HPS bulb.

1669ee0afbda84276a5df95b081d8b4f.jpg

Then that image is to be opened in free adobe lightroom app. My steps for editing are to a tiny bump in clarity and dehaze. Then I slide the temperature slider more toward the blue and the hue toward the purple until it matches what my eye sees. It’s easier to add Blue to a red picture than it is to remove Blue from a blue picture. You can click the color wheel and adjust some individual colors if necessary but I choose to make mine accurately represented. Here’s the finished product

1f83cf8e4de6f656e73c94c9810e0439.jpg

Color and overall ambient hue are 99.9% accurate and you fix all that solid blue saturation without making the tank look green.

Here’s an example of a daylight full tank shot with the above edits

f1d10d15b5010dd26c704516d89a0ff5.jpg

6cf09a73ba004126ba10bdc4c3f77578.jpg

Hope that helps

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take perfectly good pictures with the native camera on an iPhone if that’s what you have. You just have to do some things to it. It’s a combination of orange filters and adobe light room.

I’ve gotten much better pictures that way than with the aquarium cam app or with the manual app that lets you adjust iso, white balance, and f stop.

Here’s my process with some example shots.
This maricultured acro isn’t exactly a beauty, but you can see how I tackle the over saturation of blues without making the picture look green (which is what happens all too often with hobbyists and even sellers that take super blue picture, and then crank the reds up in post processing. All wrong)

Here is the plain picture. Phone to glass. Point and shoot. Bulb combo is 4 blue+, 1 True actinic, 1 purple+

4c51578aec4d6bffa2abf76ac6f7671b.jpg

The key is to get close to the source.

Focus, and adjust the exposure by sliding up or down on the focus box.

Take your picture with an orange filter over the lens. You can buy a specialized one that fits the phone or camera. I just use a pair or orange safety glasses from the hardware store. What you get is a very orange and red looking picture, almost as if it was taken under a 3000k or HPS bulb.

1669ee0afbda84276a5df95b081d8b4f.jpg

Then that image is to be opened in free adobe lightroom app. My steps for editing are to a tiny bump in clarity and dehaze. Then I slide the temperature slider more toward the blue and the hue toward the purple until it matches what my eye sees. It’s easier to add Blue to a red picture than it is to remove Blue from a blue picture. You can click the color wheel and adjust some individual colors if necessary but I choose to make mine accurately represented. Here’s the finished product

1f83cf8e4de6f656e73c94c9810e0439.jpg

Color and overall ambient hue are 99.9% accurate and you fix all that solid blue saturation without making the tank look green.

Here’s an example of a daylight full tank shot with the above edits

f1d10d15b5010dd26c704516d89a0ff5.jpg

6cf09a73ba004126ba10bdc4c3f77578.jpg

Hope that helps
Amazing I'll have to test that out and do some playing around with it. I have lightroom so I can give that a shot. Thanks a ton. What about video?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t help with video unfortunately. Unless there is some form of useful video editing app that will let you do the same sort of adjustments light room does

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t help with video unfortunately. Unless there is some form of useful video editing app that will let you do the same sort of adjustments light room does
Premier pro cc?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have or cannot afford premier pro CC, Black magic Design Davinci Resolve is free to an extent that will provide everything you need to color grade almost any format. Might have to watch some instructional videos but fairly simple to use if you are familiar with any video editing.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea premier will do it.
Always best to get best image though.
One problem with phone cameras is they change white balance constantly depending on what’s in the frame at time. So when you color time a video the beginning may be a slightly different color than the end.

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea premier will do it.
Always best to get best image though.
One problem with phone cameras is they change white balance constantly depending on what’s in the frame at time. So when you color time a video the beginning may be a slightly different color than the end.
Interesting. Ok I'll see what I can do with premier on it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back