What can you "skimp" on in the hobby? Is there such a thing?

Can you "skimp" in this hobby on certain things?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 219 69.7%
  • No

Votes: 89 28.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The word "skimp" really doesn't belong in this hobby but are there some things like equipment and dry goods that you don't have to have the BEST of the best of? But would not buying "the best" be considered skimping? Not everyone has the largest budget so let's talk about it!

If you had to "skimp" or spend less on equipment or dry goods what would it be and why?

budget R2R.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I skimp on water testing as I allow fish and corals to tell me when something is wrong

you can skimp on controllers using smart timers and smart power strips

you can skimp on frozen foods by making your own

you can skimp on aptasia X by using kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste

You can skimp on Dino X by using peroxide

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can. I setup a 20 gallon frag tank with a heater, powerhead and a HOB filter I had laying around for next to nothing. I think there are options for every budget. And for dosing containers I use old carbon containers. Works great.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a yes from me! It’s not really skimping, but I’ve never paid more than $500 for a fully set up tank (minus lights). Craigslist is a reefer’s best friend! You can also buy smaller frags for cheaper then grow them out yourself but I wouldn’t really call that skimping either, more like electing to have patience. The major thing for me is water testing, I don’t really test my water I just look at how everything’s doing and base it off that, I save a lot of reagents!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass tanks instead of acrylic sumps.
Buckets instead of ATO reservoirs.
Jeabo powerheads that are regular replaced are still cheaper than higher end.
Filter socks instead of filter rollers - one day I will change to them but still washing the same socks for years and years.
QT,FRAG and any non display use tanks = used if possible. I don't suggest skimping on your actual display but for every other reason sure.

Using cheaper lighting as fill in light. Yes you can grow corals with just black boxes, but maybe you want to use kessils but don't want 5. I have 3 over my tank and 2 black boxes in between.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think "skimping" is part of the fun of the hobby. Trying to figure out a way to do something as good if not better for half the price sounds like my kind of game. I know some would rather just not waste their time but I think it helps me understand things in the hobby better if I can reverse engineer or come up with a cheaper alternative. just my 2c.

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had to "skimp" or spend less on equipment or dry goods what would it be and why?
for me, its PROTEIN SKIMMERS. I really don't need one, and I bought a 12 dollar diy one and it stripped my tank of all its nutrients
THIS RIGHT HERE, I try to tell sooooo many people that protein skimmers are kinda dated and only needed for super overstocked tanks or tanks that you feed a TON. Anything below a 40 gallon also really won't need one as like PokeFish said it can strip a tank of nutrients

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back