What causes acans to "melt"?

Swooshjvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did it get stung by anything? i had that happen once and frog spawn was barely touching acan

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 what's around it? I still think its brown jelly disease. It happened to a few of my acans and I had a friend say the same thing. But it was also his hammers and frogspawn.

Last edited:

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have lost so much $ in acans from them mysteriously melting (on several occasions), that I have basically sworn them off. And as they melt, nothing else is affected. We may never know why this is.

Andrew L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just had one melting away so the skeleton was showing, dipped the guy and put him in high flow, just leaving him to rest now but will soon feed him and he should pop right back up.

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME white slime is usually from something physically damaging a coral, like when you frag a coral and it slimes up. You dont have a copperbanded butterfly or a hippo tang by chance? If you do just watch those fish and see if they are munching your acans those two I know can develop a taste for lps. I had a blue hippo turn on every lps in my tank and a friend who had a regal yellow belly blue hippo had one do the same thing. Not common but it does happen. That is just no fun I hope you get things turned around!

Agreed, the white slime usually hits freshly cut or damaged polyps. I haven't seen white fungal/bacterial attacks in over 4 years and never on something established.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, the white slime usually hits freshly cut or damaged polyps. I haven't seen white fungal/bacterial attacks in over 4 years and never on something established.

All I have in the tank is a cardinal, six line wrasse and banded coral shrimp. Nothing else near them that could be affecting them, unless they're all too close to each other?

At this point I've lost about 20 pieces and have about a dozen left...

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have in the tank is a cardinal, six line wrasse and banded coral shrimp. Nothing else near them that could be affecting them, unless they're all too close to each other?

At this point I've lost about 20 pieces and have about a dozen left...

Really sorry to hear about your loss, I've admired your collection ever since I got into reefing.

Any updates/progress?

Dennis

EyeCatchingCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say exactly what is causing it without seeing it in person. I would make sure you are not having rapid swings in temp or salinity(also be careful that the salt is fully dissolved during water changes before adding the new water to the system). They are very sensitive to that and it will cause them to brown slime. Also if your temp is fluctuating a great deal that is not good. For example 80 during the day but only 72 at night. Also be sure the tank is not getting too hot at any point. Heat is much worse then cold for most coral. Hope this helps.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue a year ago where otherwise healthy colonies would just recede until they were gone. The polyps would look healthy right up to the recession, even partial polyps would eat. The next day the half polyp that ate would have receded past the mouth. Out of desperation I took out two colonies and mixed up a dip of interceptor and put them in. As the pattern had been the same as yours, recession until they were gone, I left them in the dip overnight since there didn't seem much to lose. In the morning the colonies were opened wide polyps open and happy - in the dip cup! I put them back in the display and almost immediately they started growing back. Soon after I did 2 whole tank treatments with interceptor and the issue has not returned. All acans and scolys get a 2 to 3 hour interceptor dip before they enter the display now. Nothing scientific about it, but it worked for me.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept a lot of acans but I have seen the melting occur, only once. During this same time period a large favia of mine receded. This is only speculation but I think it could have been due to the grandis palys nearby, they have a powerful toxin. Do you have any of these in your system? All of my SPS were fine.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here I'm starting or had started acans melting not sure why, after reading this article, I'm beginning to believe it's my light hitting too strong. Well I'm going to try the iodine lugol's solution dip and go from there.

Attachments

• 3AB62B60-8924-4110-85BC-F23A87ED1420.jpeg
    3AB62B60-8924-4110-85BC-F23A87ED1420.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 533DA869-C64D-4288-89FF-DFC80B4D8F6A.jpeg
    533DA869-C64D-4288-89FF-DFC80B4D8F6A.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 20
  • AB855174-9EA1-4274-8B53-9201B068548C.jpeg
    AB855174-9EA1-4274-8B53-9201B068548C.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 28

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following update I got 2 of my acan colonies dead. I did dip I did light nothing changes I got 3 colonies left and 1 that's currently melting away. I do feel that there's maybe possible work that eat them.... I don't know what else to do ... no other tanks in my house so I guess whatever ... do you guys think a black widow nem can kill them acans?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the melting is characteristic of brown jelly infection, which is a bacterial infection that can come from a coral being stressed, or sometimes occurs randomly. The best option is iodine dips and fragging off the healthy parts. The key is preventing it from spreading.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I received my results back from aquariumwatertesting.com today. Somehow, my salinity is at 1.030! According to my refracto (calibrated before every use) and a hydrometer it's at 1.026.

Here are my results.
ParameterTest SummaryResult
Ammonia (NH3-4)Good0
Nitrite (NO2)Good0.004
Nitrate (NO3)Good0.6
Phosphate (PO4)Good0.05
Silica (Sio2-3)Good0.4
Potassium (K)Low183
Ionic Calcium (Ca)Low98
Molybdenum (Mo)Good0.1
Strontium (Sr)Good8
Magnesium (Mg)High1513
Iodine (I)Good0.06
Copper (Cu)Good0.02
Alkalinity (meq/L)Good2.9
Total Calcium (Ca)Good435
This can do it.
No3 could use a bump too.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the melting is characteristic of brown jelly infection, which is a bacterial infection that can come from a coral being stressed, or sometimes occurs randomly. The best option is iodine dips and fragging off the healthy parts. The key is preventing it from spreading.
Noted. Will give it a try. Thanks

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I'm looking for ANY advice at this point...my acans are melting. For the most part they still have their feeders out but I can see white slimy stuff moving from the outside inward on them and I can blow it off pretty easily.

I've tested all of my parameters (alk, cal, mag, nitrates, po4) and according to my tests they're all in normal ranges. Alk is around 10.5, cal 440, mag 1300 (going to raise to 1400), 0 nitrates and .04 po4. I haven't had any major parm swings. Also sending in a sample to aquariumwatertesting for testing to see if they come up with anything. I'm trying anything at this point.

Any suggestions or ideas would help!
tank age? lighting? flow?

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have no way to frag my my acans and my remaining 3 acans are infected. I don't see the bjd it seems that it's being eaten from inside. I have been dipping it with coral rx and lugol's solution iodine and yet no luck. I don't see anything that floats.

Back