• Percula

Results are only viewable after voting.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they pair right away? If not, how long did they take to pair up?

I got two orange storm clownfish who are still in QT. One is slightly bigger than the other and more dominant. There are two PVCs and it doesn’t let the other clown to sleep in it, and the other clown seems to understand and doesn’t fight back.

I’d say it was less than a month. The less dominant clown started doing the shimmy in just a couple weeks. Any aggression from the larger clown resulted in the smaller clown showing signs of submission and the tale tale shimmy.

Have you seen one of them doing the “shimmy”?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it was less than a month. The less dominant clown started doing the shimmy in just a couple weeks. Any aggression from the larger clown resulted in the smaller clown showing signs of submission and the tale tale shimmy.

Have you seen one of them doing the “shimmy”?
lol what is "shimmy"?

Last edited:

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol what is "shimmy"?
Most of the time the smaller less dominant of the 2 when charged by the other will kind of roll to its side and shake its whole body. It just happens for about a second but will do this quite a bit once the pairing starts.

search videos of clownfish pairing and you will see what I’m referring to as a “shimmy”. Looks almost like a mini seizure/shaking.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time the smaller less dominant of the 2 when charged by the other will kind of roll to its side and shake its whole body. It just happens for about a second but will do this quite a bit once the pairing starts.

search videos of clownfish pairing and you will see what I’m referring to as a “shimmy”. Looks almost like a mini seizure/shaking.

like this one?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that’s it.
Do yours ever do this? If not it will happen in time. Either the dominant one will accept or reject. If it rejects they will have to be separated or one will likely be bullied to death.
I can't really confirm whether they have or have not done this. I got them on May 15 and they have been in the same 10 gallons QT tank. I know for certain that the smaller one is submissive, and I think I have only seen it once when the smaller one "talk" back to the big one. 99% it has been submissive. They sleep on different area every night.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't decide on favorites. Currently loving my clarkii pair from ORA (getting very dark with bright white and really bright orangey-yellow). No current good pictures, but here are some from a bit ago. Like months, not years. They are still young.

male clarkii.jpg female clarki.jpg

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned percs for years, but am getting back into the hobby after a 12 year hiatus and am not in love with the hybrids: they just scream "fake" to me, but I think I'm in the minority. When my 105g finishes its cycle I'm thinking about a pair of pink skunks, which I've always liked--and that you don't see much anymore. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned percs for years, but am getting back into the hobby after a 12 year hiatus and am not in love with the hybrids: they just scream "fake" to me, but I think I'm in the minority. When my 105g finishes its cycle I'm thinking about a pair of pink skunks, which I've always liked--and that you don't see much anymore. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

Any reason to not get the kind of clownfish that you want? I think that is very personal reason and only you can answer. At the end of the day, you will be the one that have to look at them everyday.

I personally like the designer ones as they are more exciting to watch to me. :)

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A2CD2AC0-BBEA-46D6-8A60-8A25C552737F.jpeg

I just got these babies. Special ordered through my LFS. They are mocha Vinci’s but kinda look like storms. Would prefer slightly less white. But. Still adorable and I catch myself staring at them for way too long.
oh wow they do look like storm!

So the important question is how can we as buyer tell the difference between those two kinds?

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m a bit of a perfectionist. I love the clown variations but there are just wayyy too many to have a favorite. I’d like to get my hands on a true “black” clown but right now favorite is the standard clown. The natural pattern ties in well with my reef. The wild patterns in some ways don’t look natural? Maybe it’s just me.

58C0A777-0FA5-4A0D-949E-7D67C0979607.jpeg

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with you on designer clowns, though I don’t mind black variants of the regular pattern clown, like the photon/onyx percula.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always loved the way the Saddleback Clown moves. The perfect combo of movements between the ‘classic clown’ movement and a ‘regular’ fish— if you follow what I’m saying. If not, go find a Saddleback video. Lol.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ice storm and orange storm

image1.jpeg image4.jpeg image10.jpeg

How big is your orange storm? Was the picture taken under blue light? Can you take the picture when the light is turned off?

Yours have brighter and lighter orange coloration than mine. I took my picture with no light and only room ambient light. I have never seen mine under LED or blue light.

Back