what continuous feed dosing pumps for ca reactor?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately you're going to get mixed reviews. the old timers are holding on to expensive medical grade peristaltic pumps like master flex, because back then it was the only viable option to solve the clogged effluent issue. That's starting to phase out as more affordable, hobby specific options are being provided.

Then Kamoer came out with the FX-STP continuous peristaltic pump specifically designed for CaRx use. it can be used continuously at the rate of 12 ml/min and for $300 it has proven to be a very reliable piece of equipment. They even improved user comforts by providing the newest model with WIFI capability and an improved max continuous speed of 140 ml/min.

Then you have the Ecotech Versa that is rated for continuous use at a max speed of 200 ml/min, for half the cost of the FX-STP. The hard thing is that they are hard to find right now as production is limited. It is controlled by the mobius app and makes usability a no brainer if you already have other ecotech equipment.

When I made my decision for a CaRx pump, I had a master flex, then graduated to FX-STP, and finally settled with Versa, for the sheer ease of control. The fx-stp is a standalone piece of equipment, the app doesn't communicate with anything else. I like the versa for the simple fact that the majority of my equipment is ecotech meaning I can control many things with 1 simple app.

For me (and probably most other "old heads" that use these) it has nothing to do with being "the only viable equipment around at the time ". and more to do with :

1. These pumps are proven on the scale of decades; not a couple months, or a year or so.

2. These pumps are designed to be used in applications that sustain human life - therefore can be trusted as a life support system on my aquarium. You will not find Kamoer in a hospital, or transfusion clinic.

Name a pump with a more proven track record than Cole Parmer, and you will have a conversion.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me (and probably most other "old heads" that use these) it has nothing to do with being "the only viable equipment around at the time ". and more to do with :

1. These pumps are proven on the scale of decades; not a couple months, or a year or so.

2. These pumps are designed to be used in applications that sustain human life - therefore can be trusted as a life support system on my aquarium. You will not find Kamoer in a hospital, or transfusion clinic.

Name a pump with a more proven track record than Cole Parmer, and you will have a conversion.
Reliability of medical grade peristaltic pumps were never brought into question.

If the conversation was framed to exclude pumps that are 4 years and newer you'd only be discussing medical grade pumps.

Now that there are cheaper options that are designed specifically for CaRx use, we no longer need to rely on those over built expensive pumps.

There's no doubt medical grade pumps are tried and true, but that doesn't mean you should exclude the options that are made for the hobby.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reliability of medical grade peristaltic pumps were never brought into question.

If the conversation was framed to exclude pumps that are 4 years and newer you'd only be discussing medical grade pumps.

Now that there are cheaper options that are designed specifically for CaRx use, we no longer need to rely on those over built expensive pumps.

There's no doubt medical grade pumps are tried and true, but that doesn't mean you should exclude the options that are made for the hobby.

Agreed. I did try out the FX-STP soon after it was made available, and I didn't have a great experience with it, so I'm sure this adds to my bias. I've been in the hobby since 1995, and have tried more pieces of equipment than I can remember....

I've continued to set up new systems when I move, or when I can afford, and I find myself more and more in the category of reefers who want reliability above all else. What most consider over built, I consider adequate for the job. I just sold my Apex system, as I don't want the additional failure points, and I use equipment (or equipment in a way) that simply does not fail. I just don't need it.

I understand your point - there now are affordable pieces of equipment, that are readily available, and don't require an unrelated knowledge set to procure or implement. If I had to choose a newer pump, I'd probably go with the Versa. Not as beefy as I'd prefer, but I trust ecotech as a company, and they are US based.

Cheers

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back