What copper?

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 40 gallon qt tank I just got I need to treat my 6 fish for ich being 3 clownfish, 1 tomini tang, 1 blotched anthias, and 1 BLUE STAR LEOPARD WRASSE. What copper should I use to treat them and for how long of a copper treatment. I’m leaving my DT for about 78 days fishless. Also do I need to buy a copper test kit?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used copper power after a velvet outbreak with good success. I pretty much just left it in the qt tank untill the fallow period was over but I think 30 days is recommended but I would research that to be safe. I used a copper test kit before (red sea I think but am not sure) but used a Hanna tester this time. You'll definatly want to test tho because to much can kill them and too little will be a waste of time.

OP
OP
SpencerT82

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used copper power after a velvet outbreak with good success. I pretty much just left it in the qt tank untill the fallow period was over but I think 30 days is recommended but I would research that to be safe. I used a copper test kit before (red sea I think but am not sure) but used a Hanna tester this time. You'll definatly want to test tho because to much can kill them and too little will be a waste of time.
How often do you test

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you choose, pick one you can test for with the Hanna checker

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you test
I test daily until copper is at therapeutic level which can very by product. I used seachem cupramine a few years ago and using it I had to test often and keep adding to keep the level up. With copper power once the level is where it needs to be you only have to add more to new water when doing changes so I just tested the new water before changing. 4 gal out 4 gal in or however much your changing.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper power or coppersafe. Both are essentially the same, so either one is fine.

treat @ 2.5ppm for at least 30 days.

be sure not to let the level of copper drop below therapeutic levels when doing your water changes. Just remember to dose copper to your new water before adding it to the QT tank.

Back