What coral dip do You use??

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty's approach is much more through than mine. But my dip containers aren't used to clean the back porch either. ;)
Phht. That’s the front porch. :p

Salty,
What's your concentration when your use the peroxide and what's peroxide strength that you buy?

Freddie
It’s 3% from wherever has the best deal.

I’ll use ten to 20 ml in one liter.
On occasion with some corals I’ll go a LOT stronger ignorant it algae covered , but I don’t leave it in long and haven’t done an acro in that strong a concentration.

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard somewhere about using diluted iodine. Do any of you use this method?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true. As far "toxicity" is concerned in our hobby, almost anything we dose, dips or additives to the water including the salt itself could be toxic if ingested I suppose. Like anything else, the use of common sense and a dash of prudence is advisable. I never looked at things like this as maybe someone with small children would who can rummage around in the tank stand, as it's just me and the Mrs.
Yeah I used Bayer and kept zoas until I had a kid.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I primarily use Bayer ,Revive and Iodine. Only one at a time though.Bayer is good for persistent pest like Montipora eating nudibranchs.If I have to dip something over and over again I will usually use Bayer.
Revive is good for filthy Frags.Seems to work well as a cleaner of sorts.As for Iodine,it's my go to treatment for Brown jelly disease,bacteria and infections.I also really like to use it after cutting up zoas.With extreme caution of course.

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Coral Rx for years without incident. I also use Bayer sometimes....only thing I don't like is not being able to see the coral during the dip...but that's really a problem with me not the dip.:D

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do my best to follow a strict regiment when it comes to coral deep. I am always worried about bugs. This is what I do

Bayer --> Rinse -->H2O2 -->Rinse --> Lugol (Iodine)

First I take the coral off the frag plug, unless it's a brand new plug. I put yay much Bayer in this much water until the water is almost milky white. I dip my frag for 10-15 minutes. I check for critters and do a good rinse in RODI water, after RODI dip, I dip in in H2O2 for about 30-40 seconds, rinse it again in RODI water. Leaving in lugol solution for good 5 minutes. I make sure that the lugol solution is yellowish. It's a long process but I rather go through the pain of cleaning every frag than have some issues in my DT.

One time I forgot I left zoas in H2O2 for almost 3 minutes. It didn't open up for good 3 weeks. But it somehow survived. It's still recovering.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do my best to follow a strict regiment when it comes to coral deep. I am always worried about bugs. This is what I do

Bayer --> Rinse -->H2O2 -->Rinse --> Lugol (Iodine)

First I take the coral off the frag plug, unless it's a brand new plug. I put yay much Bayer in this much water until the water is almost milky white. I dip my frag for 10-15 minutes. I check for critters and do a good rinse in RODI water, after RODI dip, I dip in in H2O2 for about 30-40 seconds, rinse it again in RODI water. Leaving in lugol solution for good 5 minutes. I make sure that the lugol solution is yellowish. It's a long process but I rather go through the pain of cleaning every frag than have some issues in my DT.

One time I forgot I left zoas in H2O2 for almost 3 minutes. It didn't open up for good 3 weeks. But it somehow survived. It's still recovering.

When you say H2O2, do you mean full strength or diluted with tank water? Is that for all corals including acros or just zoas/softies?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, is there a bayer "How to" thread? I'm pretty sure there is a peroxide dip thread her e somewhere.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm another Dettol @ 3ml per litre of tank water and dip for about 3 minutes then rinse in a bowl of tank water inspect for any eggs ect and job done.

jkopfishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Bayer for years and I use it about 5 times a week on thousands of corals. Never had a problem. SPS, zoas, softies, gorgonians, everything. Most will open up in the Bayer. Never have I used a ratio. I pour it in until the water is milky looking and that' it. I've even fallen asleep with many frags in it over night and never an issue. JME

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say H2O2, do you mean full strength or diluted with tank water? Is that for all corals including acros or just zoas/softies?
I use the 3% that you find at CVS. Since I don't dip for more then 30 seconds I don't usually dilute them. If I had to dilute them, I'd go 1:1 ratio H2O2:RODI. My goal with H2O2 is mostly killing algae, bugs are just a plus.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Bayer for years and I use it about 5 times a week on thousands of corals. Never had a problem. SPS, zoas, softies, gorgonians, everything. Most will open up in the Bayer. Never have I used a ratio. I pour it in until the water is milky looking and that' it. I've even fallen asleep with many frags in it over night and never an issue. JME
I am on the same boat. I don't measure. I pour until it turns milky whiteish.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ya'll are using rodi , not tank water. Interesting. Why ?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread! I have used Coral Rx for years, however I don't find it aggressive enough, even at two or three times the dose. "Bayer" is not available in Canada so I am interested to see what other non-Bayer users are using!

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard somewhere about using diluted iodine. Do any of you use this method?

I used to use 5% Lugol’s solution 20 drops a gal. 15 mins but I have switched to ME Coral Wash off. Used twice so far with good results. I buy corals from only 3 places. Haven’t found any issues with their stuff. I’ve only been doing SPS for a little over 2 years. Not adventurous yet.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back