What Coral Do You Most Regret Adding to Your System?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I see a lot of people here saying that BTAs cause problems, when I get my 75 gallon set up (and running for 6 months or so for stability) I'd love to have an anemone to host my pair of clowns, but I'm a bit worried now. What would you recommend instead so I don't end up like some of these stories?

BTA's are known to wander very often, so personally I do not like them in a mixed reef, however they are by far not your only option.

I prefer either sand dwellars like LTA or Malu which can easily be contained and kept from corals, or my own personal fav is magnifica, given a high up perch they tend to stay put reaching for light, and unlike BTA they are actually a natural host match for percs and occs, though these require a little more effort at first, not always best for beginners, but doable.

I suggest trying to match species of clowns to natural host match anemone's when possible, this makes hosting happen usually right away, while many clowns often ignore BTA

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with zoanthids and discosoma (and several other common corals) is that polyps will frequently release from the rock they were on and free-float to a new spot. So no, placing them on their own individual rock does not guarantee that they will stay there. In fact, I could almost guarantee that they will not stay there. If you're extremely diligent and watchful, you could collect any that go rogue before they can reattach somewhere, but in practice this is almost impossible to do.
I did not know that, looks like I need to start researching them more in depth before I move any further with them, and maybe I'll rethink a kenya tree as a first SPS. Is that something they tend to do when they reach a certain size or is it free game any time?

This is a very helpful thread @nickkohrn I wouldn't have thought to ask this question specifically about coral

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know that, looks like I need to start researching them more in depth before I move any further with them, and maybe I'll rethink a kenya tree as a first SPS. Is that something they tend to do when they reach a certain size or is it free game any time?

This is a very helpful thread @nickkohrn I wouldn't have thought to ask this question specifically about coral
Kenya is a leather, not sps, and they can be problematic

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya is a leather, not sps, and they can be problematic
So I'm hearing, I must be getting it mixed up with something else then... now only to figure out what that was. At any rate I'll be saving this thread to revisit when it comes time to buy anything new!

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two corals are the biggest "pretty now watch what I'll do to your tank later" :
1-Blue Polyps;
2-Xenia

Memorable performances
-GSP
-Kenia Trees
-mushrooms
I didn’t have trouble with the Xenia, mine is kenya tree.

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree, has the back half of the tank, all to its self.

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my first good tank meaning all the right stuff (sump,skimmer etc) and im sitting here reading about these things and im like i just put 2 different color Xenia in my tank LOL.They are or seperate rocks so i can pull them out if needed . Glad i read this

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm a newbie trying to understand the above issues particularly with zoas. All I have in my tank right now is GSP and zoas. I happen to really like the looks of them, I've read that they're fairly hardy to handle a newbie messing stuff up so I have 6 different zoa frags, the person I got my LR from gave me this sad little zoa and a couple sheets of GSP. He said to just make sure that the GSP isn't touching anything else so I rubber banded it to a smaller bit of LR and it absolutely took off and I'm going to be sure to keep them from touching the main rock work so it doesn't take over.
But with zoas couldn't the issue be avoided by using that same method? If you glue them to a small bit of rock then they're free to take over that rock and they should stop there right? Maybe I'm missing something?
Also I see a lot of people here saying that BTAs cause problems, when I get my 75 gallon set up (and running for 6 months or so for stability) I'd love to have an anemone to host my pair of clowns, but I'm a bit worried now. What would you recommend instead so I don't end up like some of these stories?

I can't give you any advice re zoas (I like them personally) but I can talk about BTAs. Mine hasn't moved much compared to what some people experience but it has GROWN HUGE and split multiple times. I've been able to get some of the splits out and re-home them but right now I have two BTAs and one is not in the best location. I can't offer an alternative for clowns (I hear they'll form relationships with things like Duncan corals in the absence of an anemone). Personally my clowns are able to almost completely hide in the big BTA so I seldom see them.

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread depresses me haha

I've done a mix tank, it's been pretty good, maybe 30 to 40 different coral species. It's about a year and a half old and havent really experienced anything invasive yet. The most invasive species I have is a WWC Zoa Mamba, but it's been completely maintainable. However, I do have like 6-10 of the corals mentioned in this thread. Debating if I should rip them out :(

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? I have one, what am I in for?
First it took over the right front side of my tank, I chipped the entire colony out about 6 months ago, saved a 2” piece and placed in back of tank. Behold.

About 6 months ago
271BDE82-BEBF-4C29-9EB8-4EC770E66770.jpeg

Now

420F55EA-1B1D-447F-9F4A-AE4542BE4B71.jpeg

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what corals are "noninvasive"?

well it all depends on what type of reef your looking to build and keep this is an art and a life style. if you have a favorite coral in this thread then buy it. just do as you woould with any garden, prune and clear the space needed for the coral. look for easy to propagate corals because you may need to frag them at some point. i believe any NON-ENCRUSTING sps is easy to control i have acroporas and monticaps, no issues fraging them.
blastos branchng-euphillias acans chalices candycanes duncans, the list is endless.
for softies
you just need to control the growth. cut them back (>edit: from the area where you dont want it to be<) and be sure to remove all flesh off of rock.
i have a kenya tree that went a bit wild on me but after 30 minutes of removing and pruning i had it under control. so its like pulling weeds.

the yellow palythoas are still the worst in my book, they are horrible i tried 2 methods, the slow method of only removing a few at a time every day and the shock and awe method both did not work, and i still have them, next is chemical warfare or the tooth brush method

Last edited:

klesel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dude!
Tank was soaked in 9 gallons of vinegar and tap water for 5 days. Muriatic acid attempted also. Even tried lightly hitting it with a screwdriver and baby hammer, stopped when I felt that the glass is gonna crack first.
Muriatic acid will melt it in seconds !

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back