What corals and anemones can coexist with Aiptasia?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

New to the hobby. I set up my first saltwater tank and bought some live rock and kind of left it there a month. Just today, I saw several Aiptasia on the glass, which must have been brought in by the live rock. I'm planning on buying peppermint shrimp to eat them, but I don't think I can get them all considering how many crevices are in the live rock. Assuming that I control their numbers, what kinds of corals and anemones can thrive in a tank with a small Aiptasia population?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rainbow anemones
Long tentacle anemones
Hairy mushroom
Euphyllia
Toadstool leather
Nepthia leather
Xenia coral

Note- Some may sting clowns if not accepted. Its the coral that is the host- not the clown

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

New to the hobby. I set up my first saltwater tank and bought some live rock and kind of left it there a month. Just today, I saw several Aiptasia on the glass, which must have been brought in by the live rock. I'm planning on buying peppermint shrimp to eat them, but I don't think I can get them all considering how many crevices are in the live rock. Assuming that I control their numbers, what kinds of corals and anemones can thrive in a tank with a small Aiptasia population?
peppermint shrimp, may or may not eat them. You may be better off taking them out yourself, if you dont have too many. Boiling hot water, injected into them works.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish dont care. Smaller soft corals like zoanthids or non aggressive shrooms or ricordia will start to receed if aiptasia gets too numerous. Most LPS doest care.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back