OP
OP
Timothy Davis

Timothy Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you- Tank does have adequate filter capabilities. How long has bioBalls been in there as leeching is a possibility but I also see presence of light cyano indicating possibility of elevated nitrate, phosphate or both. Floss will noy offer mechanical filtration as that would be chemical. Mechanical will be a power filter or other external/internal filter. I dont believe there is sufficient cyano to release any toxins.
.25 ammonia is getting to point of water change needed. What test kits are you running ?
The bioBalls have been there since the tank was started back at the end of March 2022. I am running API test kits for Ammonia, nitrate, ph, nitrite... Salifert for Calcium, Mag, Alk.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The bioBalls have been there since the tank was started back at the end of March 2022. I am running API test kits for Ammonia, nitrate, ph, nitrite... Salifert for Calcium, Mag, Alk.
API was my suspect and I wholeheartedly urge you to take a good water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use Api anything and have them test for you and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
You may be surprised at the results on ammonia and nitrate mainly.
I have over $6,000 of livestock and not relying on a $28 kit to sustain that investment.
Hanna and salifert brand more reliable which I see you have salifert for some tests

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are difficult to read and interpret. No doubt. But they are not the abhorrent pariah that folks make them out to be. Follow the instructions, get a second opinion on the color interpretations, and do your best. If I had $6000 worth of livestock, I would have a fulltime vet on staff... Just saying.

Your tank looks new, but I see it is like 9 months old? I think you are singing the dry rock blues. Maybe try adding a small amount of real ocean live rock and letting that balance out for a month or so.

This is my "less than expert" suggestion.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do the biggest water change you can do. It may be a contaminant. You won't get an answer by testing and waiting around for something obvious is going to just waste precious time. The tank is not very big so this is really just the best way/

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any mention of phosphates. Can you get a test done on po4? I'm not sure if po4 would be your problem but need to know.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back