What defines happy SPS?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got into SPS in the beginning of November. Started off with 1 now I have about 10 on this frag rack posted below.

I’ve noticed I’ve always had polyp extension, but not much growth or encrusting.

Because of my rock work I can’t really place my Acros directly under the light so I feel this is probably a huge factor as to why they haven’t shown much growth. So I decided to off center my light to try and help my SPS get as much light as possible. Not sure if that’s the right thing to do or not.

Ive dabbled with the idea of placing the frag rack directly in the middle front panel of the tank but then I fear they’re going to get absolutely blasted by the MP10 which is on the left side of the tank.

ive also dabbled with the idea of moving the rock on the left side directly under the light but my diamond back goby has a tunnel that goes from One side to another and I don’t want to disturb that. He spends the day cleaning it and moving shells round both entrances.

my current parameter are(as of 2/23/20)

Alk 8.7
Calc 460
Mag 1260

I’m currentlt dosing 2.5ML of NoPox every other day to try and bring the nutrient levels down.

im running phosguard which I change every 3 weeks (changed on Sunday)

I feel like I won’t have any success with SPS simply because my lights aren’t directly hitting them and they aren’t receiving enough par. And given my current set up which I absolutely hate I can’t simply move things around.

I know my nitrate at phosphate are alittle high everything I’ve read says 0.03 or less and 5-10 nitrate is the golden ratio...

really don’t know what I can do to encourage more growth other then hoping and waiting it takes off(?) everything I’ve seen here shows people adding SPS to their tank and 1 month later they have 17 branches and a whole rock is encrusted.... lol...

3C0E6518-DDD7-45FF-86D4-4C64F7AA8B95.jpeg E41435DE-3F32-4039-9E37-E86645554B91.jpeg 3E9C0F77-9A8E-4AB1-8BE3-F04D06497197.jpeg

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my reef, I would build up the center with some new rock (and hack out the Stunner) - just my 2 cents.
Cheers! Mark
fullsizeoutput_100.jpeg
Sadly I tried, by my dang hammer head is directly in the center left of the rock and I simply cant move it because theres nowhere to put it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back