What did I buy (purple mushroom)

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a mushroom rock at a LFS. I asked the guy what kind of mushrooms they were, and he replied "purple." I asked where they came from, and he said "Miami." (That's where their wholesaler is). I decided not to ask questions and just buy the rock. The rock had about 30 purple and blue mushrooms and was purchased for $70. I don't know if it was a good deal, but I like it. I would like to know what they are, though.

If anybody knows, please tell me what I bought.

purblumushjpeg.JPG

freeze

colonist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a very good deal. They look like hairy mushrooms, nice color too. mine do well under moderate lighting. good luck with them.

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping the color will get better they’re a little faded from shipping. Especially the blue color. I have them in my 20g under a 65w CF and 2 NO T5s

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a wanted color that you don't see too much.

Here is a rock I paid $56 for and it only has 2 of them on it.
DSC00624.png

This I got from a club member
DSC00625.png

In colorado its hard to find colors like this, so I tend to jump on it when I can.

Joe Lo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are beautiful and it looks to me like you got a heck of a deal!!
Hope they do well, keep us updated with some more pics!!!

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock they were on had a lot of die off from shipping. The mushrooms looked unhappy after a few days. So I pulled the rock out to take a better look and it smelled like bad live rock. I removed the mushrooms and let the rock cure in another tank. I have 15 or 20 left and they look ok but the color got darker. I will get pics in a day or two. For some reason I don’t have the best luck with mushrooms. The only one I have that is doing great is a green Yuma.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhodactis mushrooms are tough shippers. I once had a perfectly packed box arrive (good insulation, lots of peanuts to keep things from moving, water was still at aquarium temp) and the whole colony of Rhodactis died. They're very fickle mushrooms. They look awesome, but unless you can get someone to guarantee live arrival on them it's taking a big chance. It's probably nothing you did that killed them. It's just how they are.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back