What did you do to your tank today?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies are generally freshwater, but acclimate well to saltwater. They have been used for years by those in the know to help with algae. Especially hair algae.
These guys are in this tank for a couple of reasons. 1st, the tank was looking bare without any fish, and hopefully in time, their babies will be wartskin angler food. Been on the hunt for a pink and white angler for a while. Have feelers out, but no luck just yet..
I had no idea they ate hair algae. It seems I’m in the market for some mollies.... what kind do you suggest? Someone mentioned the sailfins but I was thinking lyretails.

CarChase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the daily dose of two part Bionic alk /calc and lowered the intensity on my LED fixture because my new frog spawn seems a bit washed out and my Acan echinata is still not recovering from bleaching since I moved it lower 3 weeks ago. Also added make up water to the tank (I don’t have an ATO yet). And most important of all I sat I front of the tank for a few minutes and enjoyed my tank!

aquatony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Topped off ATO.. checked all params.... ended up dipping and moving a hammer coral that has been looking sickly for two weeks :( With a cleaner shrimp as possible culprit. . Lots of observation today[emoji15]. One of my favorite corals in the tank... emptied a cup of skim! Getting two full wet cups a week... and wiped off the glass shielding my. T5s / halide

Dj24680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change and used the old water to start cycling my replacement rock as I have majanos and want them gone. Sad to start over but will be worth it in the end.

Ps I will be fueling the cycle with skimmate...or hoping that works hehe

Dj24680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

4B21E016-BDE8-4D8F-AABD-47D0549742FB.jpeg

BB275F68-9AE7-4DF6-AD06-1624BC6AB5C1.jpeg

OP
OP
ndrwater

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea they ate hair algae. It seems I’m in the market for some mollies.... what kind do you suggest? Someone mentioned the sailfins but I was thinking lyretails.
Either would work just fine. Just be sure to acclimate them well.
If you choose to use the black mollies, lyertail or otherwise, they seem to acclimate rather quickly.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot, also acclimated a trio of mollies to saltwater and added them to the little AIO that is a mangrove tank. Eventually, I want to add a wartskin angler to this tank.
IMG_20180311_194722.jpg

And yes, I need to wipe the algae.. the Freshwater AI Prime I have over this tank is POWERFUL!!

Mollies are generally freshwater, but acclimate well to saltwater. They have been used for years by those in the know to help with algae. Especially hair algae.
These guys are in this tank for a couple of reasons. 1st, the tank was looking bare without any fish, and hopefully in time, their babies will be wartskin angler food. Been on the hunt for a pink and white angler for a while. Have feelers out, but no luck just yet..

:) I've got a couple black mollies living in my QT tank right now. I originally bought them trying to entice my dwarf moray to eat, thinking he switched to live foods. (Long story on him) One of the two females I got dropped fry, which have been growing. The other female looks to be pregnant and will probably drop within a week. I'm not sure on the gestation period of mollies. I'm probably going to move them all over to my frag tank. They are awesome algae eaters. The babies won't have as easy a time over there tho. More flow and they'll most likely end up in the filter chamber of the AIO.

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dosing H2O2 the last two weeks--didn't have any effect on the tank. Bit the bullet and dosed Chemi-Clean. Fingers crossed!

Dianna Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought this would be a fun thread.. So what did you do? Water change? Add that new fish you have been looking for for months? Maybe you finally got your recent build wet.
Let us know!! Pix always appreciated!!

For me, today was the day I pulled a TON of Palythoa Toxica that I have been meaning to remove for months. They were taking over a whole corner of the tank. So far... No I'll affects on yours truly, and hoping it stays that way!!

How about you?? Let's hear it!!
I cleaned my skimmer cup - washed and changed my filter Sox, cleaned my filter pads, performed my chemistry checks- ca, doh, phos, mag etc...and fed the fishies- and kept my fingers outta the tank

Dianna Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my paly’s Back in January- no desire to keep a highly toxic - potentially lethal organism in the display - I don’t understand how they can be described as a good beginner’s softer. Not with an unsuspecting beginner - perhaps Julian Sprung is right - respect them - and imho in their natural habitats.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back