What do clown fish need to be healthy?

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clown fish. Tank is about a month old so I've got a ways to go before adding any significant coral. Do they need anything in the mean time to be happy and healthy? I'm guessing clown fish need some sort of a coral to host to be happy??

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clown fish. Tank is about a month old so I've got a ways to go before adding any significant coral. Do they need anything in the mean time to be happy and healthy? I'm guessing clown fish need some sort of a coral to host to be happy??

Good quality food will make them very happy. I feed mine a mixture of different frizen foods daily. They woukd probably like an anemone, but your tank won't be ready for one of those until after a year.

They will be happy as they claim a part of the tank as their own.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Vary their diet and add garlic and vitamin supplement to their food.
Additionally, maintain good water quality to avoid brooklynella which is a common clown disease

OP
OP
H2Orchard

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vary their diet and add garlic and vitamin supplement to their food.
Additionally, maintain good water quality to avoid brooklynella which is a common clown disease
What kind of vitamins? One of them is very small so I can't feed him the pellets I got. So I've been doing flake and then the next time I go to the lfs I will get some frozen food. I was also thinking of creating a brine shrimp farm. Do they eat those?

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my clowns destroy frozen brine shrimp. A varied diet is always good, sometimes I’ll add some of the flake in with the shrimp as extra or I’ll just feed flakes. I also have a small clown who recently loves playing in my green star polyps. I would say this beginner coral could be put in way sooner than an anemone but keep in mind mine was frag size and has taken 2 years to get where it’s at now.

8D7B9B1E-525A-49A2-8D9A-4F18F4A3957B.jpeg 55215861-191B-497F-8CA5-CE475BFCB183.jpeg

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Picasso’s where small when I got them. LFS gave me New Life Spectrum Probiotix .5mm-.75mm pellet food. They loved it. Actually, they still love it. I feed LRS Reef Frenzy, mysis, and Probiotix (soaked in Kent Zoecon or Selcon, and Kent Garlic). They hang out above one of my montis. I have three RBTA’s and they could care less, but you have awhile to go before adding an anemone.:)

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good pellets and frozen, good water, for Ocellaris a 10+ gallon tank, and something to hide in. They love coral and anemones. Just throw something like star polyps or even zoanthids in there and it’ll sleep in it at night. They’re really easy, sometimes a little mean, and super hardy creatures. Great first saltwater fish.

RBZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 different sets of Clowns in the Ocellaris family and they love brine shrimp, flakes and pellets.
Mixing up the food seems to make them happy. No need for Anemones. One set splits up during the day on opposite sides of the tank and then at night come back together and sleep together. Another set spends only a little time a part and sleep together. The third set spends all there time together day and night. Clowns are happy as long as the water is good and no aggressive fish are bother them I find. By the way 3 different 120 gallons tanks for those who were going to ask if in the same tank.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 clowns in my 65g ones 4” ones 3” and the tiny one is just over an inch they sleep together huddled up in the bottom corner you can see a crater when they blow away the sand. Sometimes during the day they may nip a little at each other but mostly they’re together and beat off and rouge damsel or chromi

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back