What do sand sifting starfish eat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ...
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have 2 quarter size brittle stars that came in on the live rock. They have been in the tank 10 of the 11 months its been running.
I feed them shrimp when I remember.
 
While not sand-sifting (at least mine doesn't) if you are just looking for a starfish, a Common Starfish might be a good choice. Mine roams around the tank but will come to the top front when he's hungry, and arch out his middle. I gently place pieces of meat under him and it's very cool to watch him extrude his stomach on the glass to eat. I also have a large brittle- don't worry that you can't buy one, you'd only ever see legs sticking out of the rocks anyway LOL. Both are probably 5 inches? A few white mini brittle also, SOMEwhere.
Common Starfish
20200514_175136.jpg

Brittle Starfish:
20200514_181335.jpg
 
While not sand-sifting (at least mine doesn't) if you are just looking for a starfish, a Common Starfish might be a good choice. Mine roams around the tank but will come to the top front when he's hungry, and arch out his middle. I gently place pieces of meat under him and it's very cool to watch him extrude his stomach on the glass to eat. I also have a large brittle- don't worry that you can't buy one, you'd only ever see legs sticking out of the rocks anyway LOL
Common Starfish
20200514_175136.jpg

Brittle Starfish:
20200514_181335.jpg
LOL Nice starfish btw
 
While not sand-sifting (at least mine doesn't) if you are just looking for a starfish, a Common Starfish might be a good choice. Mine roams around the tank but will come to the top front when he's hungry, and arch out his middle. I gently place pieces of meat under him and it's very cool to watch him extrude his stomach on the glass to eat. I also have a large brittle- don't worry that you can't buy one, you'd only ever see legs sticking out of the rocks anyway LOL
Common Starfish
20200514_175136.jpg

Brittle Starfish:
20200514_181335.jpg
Thats about all I ever see of mine too lol.
20200523_193239.jpg
 
While not sand-sifting (at least mine doesn't) if you are just looking for a starfish, a Common Starfish might be a good choice. Mine roams around the tank but will come to the top front when he's hungry, and arch out his middle. I gently place pieces of meat under him and it's very cool to watch him extrude his stomach on the glass to eat. I also have a large brittle- don't worry that you can't buy one, you'd only ever see legs sticking out of the rocks anyway LOL. Both are probably 5 inches? A few white mini brittle also, SOMEwhere.
Common Starfish
20200514_175136.jpg

Brittle Starfish:
20200514_181335.jpg
Believe it or not I cannot even find a COMMON Starfish like, COMMON but I this store does have a lot of starfish if you wanna know what they are.
 
W
I have a sand sifter in my frag tank as it has sand but my 120 is BB.
I hardley ever see it as its buried most of the time.
What would happen if you put a sand sifting star in a bare bottom?
 
I love starfish and urchins, wish we had a common starfish.
I got him from KP Aquatics, and actually the brittle was hiding in some live rock I bought from them also. I have a tuxedo urchin, 3 Pencil urchins, and a baby black spiny. I only BOUGHT the tuxedo hahaha
 
I got him from KP Aquatics, and actually the brittle was hiding in some live rock I bought from them also. I have a tuxedo urchin, 3 Pencil urchins, and a baby black spiny. I only BOUGHT the tuxedo hahaha
Ha, I love tuxedos but I got a pincushion instead as it does the same thing just different appearance and my LFS was sold out
 
I love starfish and urchins, wish we had a common starfish.
I have 2 urchins in my 120.
A black tuxedo and a halloween.
You need lots of coralline for them.
Here is the back glass they
20200523_193929.jpg
20200523_193935.jpg
20200523_193943.jpg
have been trimming.
Just took these.
 
W
What would happen if you put a sand sifting star in a bare bottom?
I think the problem with that would be that sand harbors an immense population of copepods and other reef bugs. Turn off your lights and flow, and look with a flashlight at the sand, you should tons of tiny bugs eating detritus and hopping about. Without the sand and it's tiny inhabitants, the star might starve.
 
D
Awesome :)
It's anyone know anything about Mosaic,Rusty or Orange Fromias? I found them online and they look nice (I am still getting a sand sifter star)
 
D
It's anyone know anything about Mosaic,Rusty or Orange Fromias? I found them online and they look nice (I am still getting a sand sifter star)
I confused myself not all are fromias - Mosaic Starfish - Rust Sea Star and Orange Fromia
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new