What do seems look like that are going bad?

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used aquarium (70 gallons) and was told the seams were good but I would like to see if anyone has pictures of what they look like before they bust/fail/etc to have a visual on what to look to monitor our tanks seams.

We only plan on keeping this tank another year but I was curious- googled with little success only to find hundreds of videos of tanks bursting- and now have nightmares of my tank busting.

Thanks guys!!

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you can’t tell until there is a leak. If you are super worried about it, my suggestion would be to get some silicone and run over the seams to reinforce it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I don't know that you can tell until they fail. The structural part is between the glass and you cannot make that stronger, really. Adding more to the inside can help with leaks, but not strength.

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you can’t tell until there is a leak. If you are super worried about it, my suggestion would be to get some silicone and run over the seams to reinforce it.
Can I do that on the outside of the tank only? I haven't noticed any leaks or anything I just feel paranoid after seeing all the videos

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I do that on the outside of the tank only? I haven't noticed any leaks or anything I just feel paranoid after seeing all the videos
Yea, The only problem with doing it on the outside is that it might look a little messy. Idk how much it’ll do structurally but I can’t imagine it hurting anything and I’d imagine that it could help if there was a small leak that formed in the seam.

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, The only problem with doing it on the outside is that it might look a little messy. Idk how much it’ll do structurally but I can’t imagine it hurting anything and I’d imagine that it could help if there was a small leak that formed in the seam.
Thank you!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fill with tap water and give it a day and check for leaks. If none. Go for it.

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fill with tap water and give it a day and check for leaks. If none. Go for it.
The tank has been up and running for 6+ months now but we didn't notice it until we had already filled it. We haven't had any leaks and I am probably worrying over nothing but was hoping someone had some sort of visual aid

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been up and running for 6+ months now but we didn't notice it until we had already filled it. We haven't had any leaks and I am probably worrying over nothing but was hoping someone had some sort of visual aid
yea, if holding that long I wouldn't worry, there really is no way to tell ahead of time

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back